Iphone 5S Or 5C Cdma With 4G Lte Compatible In Argentina

Vermonter

Registered
Hi guys,

I'll be returning to Argentina in January and, given the prices of smart phones in Argentina, I'm looking to invest in a new smart phone in the US. My current provider told me that I could use the iPhone 5s or 5c with CDMA capability in Argentina. All I would need to do is replace the SIM card and I'd be good to go.

Does anyone have any insights on how I would go about getting a plan with one of the phone companies (I've been using Movistar prepago)? With my old phone I'd just charge it with pesos at the kiosco - would it work the same way with my new phone?

All advice is appreciated.

I'm assuming you have a Verizon CDMA iPhone (5, 5s, or 5c), so yes, it will work. All you need is to get a pre-paid "nano SIM" card at Movistar (or any of the local carriers) and add a data package if you want to use 3G.

Don't you need to have the phone unlocked first to use a different sims card?or are you buying one already unlocked? If the phone is not unlocked you can't just exchange cards...you need to unlock it first!

Locked iphones is used at the AT&T mobility only. All other carriers such as the Verizon,Sprint,T-mobile just to mention the few majors are offering iphones with contract as "unlocked"
The only villain is the AT&T mobilty !

No need to unlock, jailbreak, or buy anything.

Verizon iPhones 5, 5s or 5c, have an _unlocked_ GSM sim card factory built in. Just remove the stub chip that's in it, and put a new local chip (Personal, Claro or Movistar) when you get here and you're all set.

edit: I believe Hybrid is right as well. It started with Verizon in 2012, but this year other US carriers followed as well, except AT&T.

I have 2 iphones not being used 'cause currently using the 5 S model.
Wanting to know if it is worthwhile for me to bringing with me on this Chile~Argentina fact finding trip to see which country best for my planned retirenment and possible incorporating a Japanese styled eatery thus to keep me busy and delay inmminently arrving dementia due to my gettin' older. So to possibly incorporate in each candidate country.

I have an iphone 3 GS with 32 GB memory in Black. Also another iphone 4 S with 64 GB memory.
I would like to offer affordably to the needing expats living there or whomever can use one, much less than the going rate there in Buenos Aires..But don't know how much to ask. Any rough ideas folks? Or does not worth for me to bringing with me ? Any recommendation woul be appreciated.

I have 2 iphones not being used 'cause currently using the 5 S model.
Wanting to know if it is worthwhile for me to bringing with me on this Chile~Argentina fact finding trip to see which country best for my planned retirenment and possible incorporating a Japanese styled eatery thus to keep me busy and delay inmminently arrving dementia due to my gettin' older. So to possibly incorporate in each candidate country.

I have an iphone 3 GS with 32 GB memory in Black. Also another iphone 4 S with 64 GB memory.
I would like to offer affordably to the needing expats living there or whomever can use one, much less than the going rate there in Buenos Aires..But don't know how much to ask. Any rough ideas folks? Or does not worth for me to bringing with me ? Any recommendation woul be appreciated.

Bring them over and accept offers once here....! I have buyers, You may get 100 bucks or more

http://www.ebay.com/itm/U-Apple-iPhone-3GS-8GB-Black-FACTORY-UNLOCKED-Smartphone-C-/360810145746

Thanks everyone for the extremely helpful info,

Yes I have Verizon and the iPhone comes "unlocked." Does anyone know how much a data package will typically run for?

Back