Iphone

mern

Registered
Hello! I'm new to this forum and I'm going to BA for a couple weeks in January but I will be traveling around Argentina throughout February as well! I'm getting an Iphone so I can have apps and receive emails and such while I'm on my trip. Does anyone know how much a sim card will cost me and what kinda of plan I will have access to for a couple months?

Iphone may not be the best choice for here

Hey! well, first of all make sure your device is unlocked (by software or even better factory unlocked) and the sim card(chip) is around 3USD and up to 7USD for a new number, then you can add credit online(sign up required, minimum $4USD) :

www.personal.com.ar (also Movistar and Claro but I don't know how they work)
Using a credit card online or calling *151 for free(*150# for free balance check), and ofcourse using cash on kioskos around the city. They have unlimited internet for U$0.25 per day at 3G speed up to 10 mb and then slows down after that, the plan is day by day and activates when start using data, works good for me and is prepaid ....

TIP:...buy a cover so is not so atractive when you are in unsafe areas . You can also use TOM TOM Argentina Uruguay( GPS application) for iphone (no need to use data).

thanks! do you know how much it costs for a prepaid chip card and I was looking at movistar, is that who I would go with? Maybe I can get part of this sorted out before I get out there!

Stay a way from Movistar! Do a search on the forum for a thread called "worst mobile data in the world"

I am using Personal and provides a good service for pre paid, and the sim will be less than US$10. Have the convenience of recharging online or over the phone, so you don't have to be looking for a place to buy credit. Moreover, it works globally , I tested it in Peru and Florida (US) and works great(text and voice ) and not bad price per minutes, text 50 cents to send. They also have pack for int' roaming. If you travel the world and want to have it for emergencies is a good deal too, you know at least someone can locate you for an small cost. http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.personal.com.ar%2Froaming%2Ftarifas%2Ffactura.html

Carlos, you were able to get a data plan with Personal without a DNI number?
My experience is that you should turn off the data portion of the Iphone and just use local WiFi since the data will drain the money loaded on the SIM card in one day.
I haven't seen a company in Argentina allowing pricing on a monthly plan of data without DNI or being sponcered by a DNI holder to obtain the plan.
Usually foreighn visitors can get better rates with their home providers such as ATT or T Mobile with an unlimited international data plan for around $US60 per month added to their plan.

RicardoBA said:
Carlos, you were able to get a data plan with Personal without a DNI number?
My experience is that you should turn off the data portion of the Iphone and just use local WiFi since the data will drain the money loaded on the SIM card in one day.
I haven't seen a company in Argentina allowing pricing on a monthly plan of data without DNI or being sponcered by a DNI holder to obtain the plan.
Usually foreighn visitors can get better rates with their home providers such as ATT or T Mobile with an unlimited international data plan for around $US60 per month added to their plan.

http://www.personal.com.ar/internetmovil/packs/factura_7dias.html

seven days, 3gigas, AR$59 (u$12,5) "only for prepaid..without DNI

Carlosgreat/Damiancho:

Internet:

It used to work for me 6 months ago but now no more. I find I'm spending ~$10p/day somehow. I now buy 2 tarjetas in one go so I have a spare ready and only top up when I need to call. The billing could be delayed, it's not a smartphone so it's not transmitting in the background.

1) How do you enable the Internet pack these days?
I used to use Sim menu > Autogestion > Compar packs > and then choose 1mb for 7 days, or 10mb for 7 days etc
but this doesn't work anymore. What's the number to dial?

2) How do I find my answerphone pin number? The Personal shop reps are useless.

3) What's the address for topping up online? And how do I register?

4) What's the deal with this bonus credit? Everytime I topped up it added another ~$20p and it was getting bigger and bigger. It was at about ~$60p
last I looked and my actual credit was ~$20p. But today I switched on after a ~8min call to a Claro mobile and I have no credit at all.

And most of all 5) I think it might be easier to get all these answers by buying a new simcard and not walking out the shop until it's all answered. But I don't want to have to give out a new number if possible. How do I port this number? Is it possible?

Also, just want to check that emails on prepay with Movistar and Claro are not possible are way too expensive.

-j

p.s. I have a problem sometimes in the Province where the signal strength varies when just standing still. The signal drops and then switches to Movistar. If you're in a middle of a call you get cut off. So one minute you have full signal, the next you get cut off!
On my phone I can specify manual operator selection and GSM or 3G only. I generally find that with the Personal chip in there's no 3G (UMTS) coverage at all and switching to manual doesn't really help in any way, though it's useful to see what coverage is in the area.

Back