World’s cheapest iPhone in Iguazu?

Che1990

Registered
Hello… just thought I’d share a handy tip with you all, which is buying cheaper goods at the duty free store in Iguazu.

As you pass through Migraciones, before crossing the bridge to Brazil, there’s a duty free shopping centre.

And here’s the great thing…

The prices are fixed in USD, BUT when you go to pay, they charge you in pesos, at the official rate, with no taxes.

I splashed out and bought an iPhone 14 pro, priced at $2,119 USD. This was back in early May, and the official was at $231.50.

So they charged me $494k pesos.

You can do the maths, but at the time it worked out cheaper than buying in the US.

Paying with a foreign card there is like paying anywhere else in Arg, you get the MEP rate.

My partner got two pairs of designer trainers for $11k pesos.

Its a very big shopping centre and sells your typical duty free stuff, like perfumes, After 8 and Toblerone chocolates etc

There is an apple store and you’ll also find clothes, sportswear, home goods (Stanley termos etc), and a tech store selling everything except laptops.

Sharing in case is travelling, or plans to, to Iguazu. Its a good way to get hold of much cheaper goods. IMG_9754.jpeg

Oh and forgot to add, there was no issue at the aduana crossing back in to Arg.

We crossed several times, and there was never anyone there. The conveyor belt they use to scan luggage was switched off and unmanned each time.

The only snag is the queue for migraciones, at least half an hour - standard.

I wish I’d known about this last month, hopefully a good reason to visit Iguazu anew if it still works later this year

Hello… just thought I’d share a handy tip with you all, which is buying cheaper goods at the duty free store in Iguazu.

As you pass through Migraciones, before crossing the bridge to Brazil, there’s a duty free shopping centre.

And here’s the great thing…

The prices are fixed in USD, BUT when you go to pay, they charge you in pesos, at the official rate, with no taxes.

I splashed out and bought an iPhone 14 pro, priced at $2,119 USD. This was back in early May, and the official was at $231.50.

So they charged me $494k pesos.

You can do the maths, but at the time it worked out cheaper than buying in the US.

That is quite amazing, great info, thanks! So you just go to the checkout and haul out your wads of pesos cash and make off with an iPhone at more or less the same price as in the US?

That is quite amazing, great info, thanks! So you just go to the checkout and haul out your wads of pesos cash and make off with an iPhone at more or less the same price as in the US?
Yeah, although getting 500k pesos in cash is a saga in itself.

We had money in local accounts and they let us split it over two cards.

Forget using WU in Iguazu. Big queues full of tourists.

They impose a limit of 70k for withdrawal but often don’t have enough cash. Not to mention freezing to death in the branch with the AC on full.

Best to take USD and change in a cueva there.

on a somewhat related topic, anyone tried cashing out their leftover pesos when leaving the country (at official rates - for tourists?) and if the limit of US$ 100 is actually applied. (the proof of the original sale seems optional).

"If you have a large amount of pesos left at the end of your visit, you can change up the equivalent of US$ 100 at an official casa de cambio (note that while most casas de cambio will stock US dollars, euros and Brazilian reales, other currencies may not be available.) You may be asked to provide receipt from your original sale of in order to buy back dollars. "

Was it somewhere on the boards here that I saw mentioned that it is illegal to take Argentine pesos out of the country with you?

I may be miscalculating, but 494k pesos using either blue or MEP gives me just a few dollars north of $1k USD converted. It is cheap but that model of the 14 pro is $999 + sales tax in the US. In New Hampshire and other states where you don't pay sales tax, it's still cheaper.

Don't get me wrong, it's still an amazing deal for an iPhone that is bought in a place where it's 2x more expensive normally

Back