Irish guy moving to Ba

YanquiGallego said:
i had never heard of this special visa and am curious, do you know is this visa for all of the EU citizens or just ireland?

No that visa only works if the government of your country have an agrement with the government of argentina, and work in both ways always, i know that it work with australia, new zeland, ireland, maybe canada not sure, but for sure there are some others countrys as well i only check in the firts 3 of them and was posible 1 year ago for me to go there with this cain of visa, so in the oposite way should be posible as well.

lamarque said:
No that visa only works if the government of your country have an agrement with the government of argentina, and work in both ways always, i know that it work with australia, new zeland, ireland, maybe canada not sure, but for sure there are some others countrys as well i only check in the firts 3 of them and was posible 1 year ago for me to go there with this cain of visa, so in the oposite way should be posible as well.

In other words, you can get this cain of visa, but only if you are able. :D

I would really think twice before coming here. It's very different to how it appears. All my friends back home say they think it's a really cool city but I find it a bit culturally lacking compared to most European city.
Want a drink on a Friday night after work? Forget it. Most bars are empty until 11:30 midnight.
Palermo is ok but is a bit fake and not like the rest of BA.

Want a weekend out of the city? This is difficult. There isn't much for a 1000km. Perhaps Tigre is ok for a half day.

Having said that there are some good things here but I would weigh up some other options first.

steveinbsas said:
In other words, you can get this cain of visa, but only if you are able. :D

well it not depend on the person, it depend on the country you come from and the agreement with the local goverment, putting that very simple lol

Jambot said:
I would really think twice before coming here. It's very different to how it appears. All my friends back home say they think it's a really cool city but I find it a bit culturally lacking compared to most European city.
Want a drink on a Friday night after work? Forget it. Most bars are empty until 11:30 midnight.

Want a weekend out of the city? This is difficult. There isn't much for a 1000km. Perhaps Tigre is ok for a half day.

Having said that there are some good things here but I would weigh up some other options first.

Culturally lacking? Are you kidding? BsAs has the 3rd largest theatre scene in the world, street tango, world-class football, is on the itinerary for most major world tours, has venues catering for just about every musical taste, plenty of museums...and as for 'most bars are empty until 11:30' - what?! For starters there's a meet for expats in San Telmo every Friday night at 8.30pm, and when I'm coming home on Fridays I see loads of bars open and heaving. Tigre is worth a heck of a lot more than half a day if you have your eyes open, plus there's San Isidro, La Plata, Lujan...

And Palermo is fake? Palermo is what it is. Fake is imitation. Palermo isn't imitating anything. OK names like 'Palermo Soho' and 'Hollywood' may be misleading but tongue in cheek. I suggested Palermo in an earlier post because it's a safer bet for newcomers.

BsAs has a lot of problems, and newcomers should be made aware of those, but one thing we have here is cultural diversity and amazing places to visit and things to see and do.

Jambot said:
Friday night after work? Forget it. Most bars are empty until 11:30 midnight.

Lol what? It's hard to get a table at 7-9pm in microcentro.

Not sure Jambot has ever been to BA. I m Irish, I ve been here 4 years and love it. Plenty of Irish here, and about 6 Irish bars, that I know of. Send me a private when you are coming.

Jambot said:

Definitely not culturally lacking. Perhaps you are lacking on knowledge of where to go?

Like someone else said microcentro is full on a friday night, especially when the weather is good its tough to get a spot from about 5pm. They arent the best but plenty of options on Reconquista for a drink on a fri night.

Uruguay is only a cpl of hours by ferry. In summer the coast is only a cpl of hours drive, if you want to get away for a long weekend (of which there are plenty given this country has about 20 public holidays per year) and can afford it, most other cities (Cordoba, Mendoza, Bariloche, Tucuman etc) are no more than 1.5 hr flight.

I think economically and politically this country doesnt exactly excel but culture is a strong point.

Jambot said:

WTF have you ever been in Buenos Aires? Culturally lacking?? i think the one that is culturally lacking is you, but more probably you don't even know the city

I would never move anywhere that I hadn't previously visited, especially not Buenos Aires (I have never encountered another city that incites such acute love/hate reactions.) If your only income is a peso salary, you're not going to be living in that sheltered expat bubble... you can still have fun and get by just fine, just don't expect to dine out/go drinking often, travel around the country, or live without roommates. On the upside, if you're Irish, you probably won't be bothered by the blandness/monotony of local Argentine cuisine ;)

Back