Irish guy moving to Ba

lamarque said:
I'm from buenos aires but i have been living in dublin until 1 month ago with this visa, is quite good and you can renew it as long as you want so it let you stay in the country for very long term, or at least that way work in ireland, you just go to the embassy of your country in ireland (in your case in buenos aires) and they give you the visa it is a very quickly tramit.
Hope you enjoy your stay at Bs As, is a huge city compared to Dublin with his good things and bad things, but i'm sure it will be an adventure as it was for me when i went to ireland.

Have a good time in Dublin! You CANNOT renew the visa 'as long as you want' - I take it you mean like for 2 years or something? See below:

23) Will I be able to extend my Working Holiday Authorisation?
Permission to remain granted to those entering Ireland on the basis of a Working Holiday Authorisation shall be valid for a maximum period of twelve (12) months from the date of entry into Ireland. Extensions to the period of validity of such permission shall not be granted. Participants must leave Ireland on the expiration of their permission to remain, which cannot be extended, either under the WHA programme itself or through attempting to convert it to a different form of immigration status.

It kind of bugs me that people say things like that you should go to Palermo to, more or less, be on the safe side. Before I arrived here, I took the advice from this board seriously that anywhere west of Caballito and you were getting into really rough territory, and that even Caballito was a bit on the dodgy side. I SO wish I had not taken that advice! I wasted heaps of time looking for something affordable in a limited zone. (I ended up 'taking a risk and found a place in Almagro - the location was totally fabulous!)

There are plenty of decent, safe places to live outside of the expats playground of Belgrano, San Telmo, Recoleta and Palermo.

I have lived in Liniers (a.k.a. Barrio Boliviano, the 'frontier' between Capital and Provincia ) for most of my close to two years here (and just moved pretty far out in provincia), and while there were some rough characters around in parts of Liniers, however comparing comments on this forum to my experience of living there, it is much more risky to live in the aforementioned expats playground!

I think even if you haven't had too much life experience or aren't very street wise, you could still live pretty safely in places like Caballito, Almagro, Villa del Parque, Devoto, Nunez, Saavedra, Villa Urquiza, even the north parts of Flores (But I WOULD NOT recommend the south of Flores!) consider or Floresta - AND you will most likely not have to spend so much money to find a decent place! Don't limit yourself - especially if you want to experience something of the more down-to-earth Buenos Aires.

I think a maybe a more reasonable general guide of what would be 'safe' would be to say, stick to the north side of Rivadavia (which is the main main road from one of Capital to the other - if you look at any map you will see what I am talking about). Well, that's my outspoken opinion on the matter anyway.

I hope you have a great time. I think it's good advice to be sensible, but at the same time don't let other people's hangups hold you back from enjoying this city/country.

Shit happens to every one at some time or another - so if it happens to you, you will probably find lots of people to commiserate with!

Panini said:
Have a good time in Dublin! You CANNOT renew the visa 'as long as you want' - I take it you mean like for 2 years or something? See below:

23) Will I be able to extend my Working Holiday Authorisation?
Permission to remain granted to those entering Ireland on the basis of a Working Holiday Authorisation shall be valid for a maximum period of twelve (12) months from the date of entry into Ireland. Extensions to the period of validity of such permission shall not be granted. Participants must leave Ireland on the expiration of their permission to remain, which cannot be extended, either under the WHA programme itself or through attempting to convert it to a different form of immigration status.

You cannot extend that is true, but you are totally able to renew (of course you have to pay again the fee), that is what i'm telling you. Lot of the argentinian that i meet there have been around for 1 to 7 years. And when i ask there they told me that i can renew the wh, or look a employer that renew for you or in the last and worst case you could pay 450 for some cheap english course and continue staying and working there for as long as you want to continue renewing it.

Joelie makes some good points. There is plenty more to BsAs life than Recoleta, Palermo and Belgrano. And if you come here and dont step out of those zones you wont get a full understanding of Buenos Aires, let alone Argentina.

In terms of crime, the topic gets done to death. There are certainly areas more dangerous than others (albeit price of housing doesnt necessarily equal safe). But crime does happen everywhere in Capital and Argentina and is getting worse. Although I havent personally been a victim, my girlfriend had a knife pulled on her in broad daylight, outside a busy restaurant just a few blocks from our apartment in Palermo. There are a thousand stories like this. This city certainly isnt safe but if you have your wits about you, dont wear anything too expensive and are street smart you can reduce the chances of something happening.

I would recommend before settling down that people come here and stay somewhere temporarily so they can better understand prices & what area suits them. We did that but still chose Palermo Chico, for cleanliness, accessibility to work and public transport, bars and restaurants, the amount of parks. having said that, I have a number of colleagues that live in the provincia. Some of them have travel time of 1.5 hrs. Obviously they are often still there because that is where they grew up, family close etc.

Anyway, point is its a good idea to try before you buy.

thynes23 ,why would u want to move all the way from ireland to change the sceanery,and end up hanging out with loads of people from home in irish bars!!!!singing the feilds of athenryyyyyyyyy....

I'm a little late to this thread, but I think part of the appeal of Palermo/Recoleta area is that you're close to the city center and where all the action is. :) There are definitely nice areas outside of that zone (I really like Villa Urquiza, Devoto, and Saavedra) but to live there you might need a car... not to mention that it's not always more affordable. There are public buses of course and remises, but these areas are more "suburban" and offer a slightly different lifestyle.

For those interested in "authentic" Argentina, you could always come out to my neck of the woods... where ruta 4 and ruta 8 meet. ;)

Back