Is Argentina a good idea?

NickBA said:
Cipriana...for your own good do not use this forum as a resource when deciding whether or not to move to Argentina. You will find that the responses will be overwhelmingly negative, and when someone finally posts something positive, the abundance of cynics will quickly try to bring them down. Good luck with your decision.

Agree with every word, comma and stop.

I am still in Argentina after six years. I have no desire to leave but I am very relieved I no longer live in Capital Federal or anywhere near what I consider the potential "zone of chaos" (including Pilar and even Mar de Plata).

steveinbsas said:
I am still in Argentina after six years. I have no desire to leave but I am very relieved I no longer live in Capital Federal or anywhere near what I consider the potential "zone of chaos" (including Pilar and even Mar de Plata).
Steve brings up a good point, OP: It is best to distinguish between Buenos Aires and the rest of the country. As such, my reply concerned living in the city of Buenos Aires.

I have been passing through GRU twice each year for the past 5 years, staying for 3 or 4 days each time. I would say up until the end of last year sao paulo was more expensive than BSAS, not from inflation, but because the real was getting stronger against the US$/Euro every time i went there, however when i passed through this year in march it was cheaper than BSAS, because the real was down against the US$ and also because of the effects of inflation here.
As for food, brazil has alot more variety and the quality is better than anything here.
I also usually spend a few months each year in europe, mostly belgium and zurich, and apart from public transport, restaurants (in zurich), and utilities (gas/power) argentina has become more expensive in the last 2 to 3 years, and what you get in argentina is of lower quality, this is for everything from food to clothes.. this is living the life of a local, renting an apt, shopping at supermarket etc..

Outside of BSAS life is better i think. Not that i have really been living outside of CF for 3 years now. But 3 years ago when i spent time in san rafeal it was way cheaper, and the quality of the fresh food was very good when in season.

So if you are intending to live away from CF it could be an ok move, but if you are coming to live in capital federal i would be reconsidering.

The other thing to consider is that there looks to be a crisis coming here soon, so this could well be the opportune time to make a move here. Deals could be had on realestate etc.. But also be aware that there are now controls on foreign currency purchases (legally purchased), import restrictions on everything, shortages of goods and parts to fix items (for cars/computers etc). So you need to weight up the general hassles that you will be having to put up with too.

sleslie23 said:
The return of MemoryAtlas.

I meant to answer this earlier today but it was a good day to use the chain saw...

MA is a 30 year old waiter with two college degrees and five K to blow in the hope of establishing a new life in Argentina.

I hope he doesn't come, even for a visit...and continues doing whatever made it possible to save the five grand in the first place.

The poster from Brazil is an Argentine citizen who is selling land in Brazil and will have resources to invest in a business in Argentina.

Those are two very different sets of circumstances.

The thought may be appalling to some but subsistence farming might be the wave of the future.

If that's the case, living in a city might not be such a good idea.

A bunch of projects can be done in Argentina:

- Invest in 50 hectareas (can cost 100.000 USD) and produce the queen of truffles -> Tuber melanosporum. You'll just need to plant the right oaks, find the right land (chalky), the right climate, seed the truffles and wait... seven years. At 400/1.200 USD per kilo and about 10/15 kilos per hectarea = yearly return of 200.000/900.000 USD. All of this with not much work to do during the year, except training a dog to find them ! There's always a market to sell black truffles. I'll surely invest in such a project when I can afford it.

- Profit from the restrictions on imports! Some specific food products become harder to find? Produce & market them.

- Open specific themed restaurants: e.g. it's not easy to find a good couscous in Buenos Aires.

- Invest in tourism here: you love motorcycles? Buy a Norton 500 + a bunch of KLR 650s and sell a touristic trip on the footsteps of the Che Guevara, allowing the clients to ride the Norton 500 once in a while to take fantastic pictures (That's something I wanted to do here too).

- Invest in tourism (bis): many Argentinean places offer little or none decent accomodations. Look for places like Shincal in Catamarca or such. It's possible to make a kind of luxury B&B, with a good restaurant and why not horse riding and such.

- Invest for export: funny all the Europeans I meet are amazed by those soda bottles that are still used here. Hire a good argentinean designer, and design the perfect 1950-style soda bottle than can be recharged/refilled + sell in Europe & US.

The list goes long... Many things can be accomplished here!

Frankly, and, based on my own experience, I think Argentina is stil a great idea if you want to live in the country or in the provencia, but not the city, especially CF and its environs.

PS:As in all "games" some conditions apply...some of which are also known as game changers. :p

i have lived here continuously since 1986 and off and on since 1972 and i still say dont come here to live..It is not easy..it is unrational and unless you are coming already affluent it is damn hard to earn a decent wage here...if i lost my job of 18 years i would leave tomorrow but after having 18 years invested here in a job and retirement it is hard. I convinced and helped myexs daughter to move to spain 12 yearsago an even there is better than here...she can plan, save , accumalate goods and travel...none of which she could have done working and living here.\

steveinbsas said:
Those are two very different sets of circumstances.

Steve, obviously the stories are different. We'll see if this OP actually returns.

French jurist said:
- Invest for export: funny all the Europeans I meet are amazed by those soda bottles that are still used here. Hire a good argentinean designer, and design the perfect 1950-style soda bottle than can be recharged/refilled + sell in Europe & US.

Scotland already has these. http://www.rampantscotland.com/graphics/irn_bru2537a.jpg

There's a market for softdrinks here. Someone should start producing Irn-Bru.

There are at least 3 Scots on here who would buy it :D

Back