Is Argentina on par with USA regarding Freedom of press?

I read through the assessment process and criteria they use. The process is transparent and robust. Looks very well thought out. It measures primarily such things as the number of instances of killings, attacks, and censorship of active journalists and self censorship by media themselves. The numbers are up and growing.

The assessment takes less into account what then happens to press-published stories, such as the extent to which they are given circulation, discredited or diluted by spin and so on.

What to do?

Freedom of the Press isn't that great in the US to begin with. When a few corporations owned by a few men decide what is news worthy. Or more importantly when they decide what they want the American people to think, that isn't freedom.

I would think Argentina to be somewhat similar albeit with a more progressive slant.

Your assesment is way far from the truth .
678 is the goverments brainwashing machine.
ihave never seen the goverment sponsor a street rally with pancards singling out certain journalists as traitors and genocides

Well, I guess that the US is not the same after 9/11. That s why now we are almost equals about press freedom.
Regards

After 9-11 it became virtually taboo to ever criticize the military on TV. People lost their jobs and had their shows cancelled if they did and the excuse was always the same, they were speaking out against the " troops " and you just can't do that seeing as how they are fighting for your freedom to criticize them.
:confused:

Bajo_cero2 said:
Well, I guess that the US is not the same after 9/11. That s why now we are almost equals about press freedom.
Regards

Black hand , break with tradition , cite the sources where you get the crap you write.
Name ONE journalist , BONIFIDE journalist who got fired or whose show was cancelled becasue he or she wrote something contrary to what the US Goverment "ALLOWED".
There is noone as well informed as the misinformed .
What you wrote is completely stupid .

haha

yeah okay. I'm really gonna worry about what you think. Go troll someone else, i'm sure you have the time.

You post stuff you pull outta your mind , then , when you are corrected , you accuse me of trolling.
mmm , ok

You need to get a life and stop thread trolling. You don't actually have to challenge every single differing point of view you read on this forum. It's obsessive and rather creepy.

And that's my last reply to you. I don't waste my time with the clinically insane.

While the battle between the press and the government is very "in your face", reporters are rarely in physical danger for exposing government wrongdoing. However, the quality of independent journalism in Argentina is very low. It is not economically profitable to work on your own. Many journalists that work on their own have to hold 2nd jobs. Journalists are often not trained to use formal channels to access information. Career journalists tend to find jobs with media conglomerates such as Grupo Clarín or sources funded by the government. Media conglomerates and the government are not reporting on what the electorate needs to know in order to make informed voting decisions.

The conflict between Clarín and the government consumes a significant amount of their reporting. Even without the Clarín conflict, Grupo Clarín is massive and owns print media, television stations, websites, radio stations, internet service, and cable service.

Furthermore, Argentina lacks an adequate access to information law like the Freedom of Information Act in the U.S. The reforms CFK has pushed for, under a banner of human rights protection and democratic strengthening, are aimed at punishing a political enemy and not at strengthening democratic institutions of transparency. Anonymous smear campaigns in which BA is plastered with posters that say "Clarin Miente!" obviously have government support, if not financing. Journalists and newspapers have subsequently been divided into "K" and "anti-K" camps.

The government continues to use its multimillion dollar advertisement budget to select which newspapers it will place ads in, creating a clientelistic relationship wherein those that self-censor receive government funds. Perfil took the government to court in 2006 accusing the government of refusing to advertise in their paper due to their political positions.

So, while journalists may not face physical danger, the quality of and diversity in reporting remains extremely weak. It will be interesting to see what happens in the coming years. One of CFK's first moves after her 2nd inauguration was to pass a law expropriating Papel Prensa, the newsprint company. Clarín held the controlling share and La Nacion, a right of center newspaper, held a sizable share. CFK received more votes than any other Argentine president except for Peron and Yrigoyen when she was reelected. Her party holds a majority in the Senate and a near majority in the House of Deputies so she stands a good chance of passing laws that she wants. Yet, she has shown no interest that I know of in passing a law such as an access to information law that would make the government more transparent.

Back