Is Argentina on par with USA regarding Freedom of press?

I would find it ridiculous that anyone actually believes that the U.S. has a free press/media if I didn't find it so pathetically sad.

Well, the main problem in Argentina is Papel Prensa. It is one of the legacies of the last dictadura.
Clarin owns almost all the media and the last elections were a good example about, instead of informing the news, they tried to create them. If you read Clarin, then it seems that Cobos, Alfonsin or Lilita Carrio were going to win the elections. So, they have their own agenda regarding to protect their own interest.
The main danger for press freedom is not the government in this country, it is the media cartel Clarin/la Nacion.
Regards

Yeah well, like they say, ignorance is bliss. Let them be happy.

surfing said:
I would find it ridiculous that anyone actually believes that the U.S. has a free press/media if I didn't find it so pathetically sad.

Cristian .,
Regardless of Clarins' perceived monotpoly.
Isnt there in fact a tie between Gravier and Papel prensa ?
I understood that the seed money to start papel prensa directly related to Graiver ? Its alleged that Graiver laundered money for the montoneros. Specifically the ransom paid by Cocacola , Exxon( or shell ?) and the ransom paid to the montoneros by Bunge (or born?) for the ransom of the two borthers.
I read as much , but it wasnt in Clarin I read it . Ill post the citations as soon as i dig them up.
Monopoly or not , Guillermo Morenos "people" were distruibuting kites on the beaches "decorated" with hatefull propaganda towards Clarin. Now , that said . How can a goverment justify spending tax payer money to fund such an operation ? I think anyone sensible would fear this goverment.

Bajo_cero2 said:
The main danger for press freedom is not the government in this country, it is the media cartel Clarin/la Nacion.
Regards

It takes two to tango. Notice that the Kirchners didn't really try to take on Clarin until Clarin became critical of CFK during the 2008 Campo Protests. Néstor and Clarin were quite close. He even passed what was called the "Ley de Clarin", preventing Clarin from going into receivership by foreign creditors during its bankruptcy.

InsearchofBA said:
It takes two to tango. Notice that the Kirchners didn't really try to take on Clarin until Clarin became critical of CFK during the 2008 Campo Protests. Néstor and Clarin were quite close. He even passed what was called the "Ley de Clarin", preventing Clarin from going into receivership by foreign creditors during its bankruptcy.

The fight between Clarin and the government is healthy for the freedom of press because, no matter what caused it, the consequences are going to be good.

I never expect that politicians do something because it s the good thing to do.

Regards

Profound words Cristian !
I too hold out the same hope.
The bibliographic references to graiver was taken from Argentinos Vol2 . Jorge Lanata. It in turn cites NYTimes among his sources

Bajo_cero2 said:
The fight between Clarin and the government is healthy for the freedom of press because, no matter what caused it, the consequences are going to be good.

I never expect that politicians do something because it s the good thing to do.

Regards

I think you have to look closely at who the winners and losers are before concluding that the fight is healthy. This is a conflict between a giant media conglomerate and a very powerful populist president who views the press as an unnecessary intermediary in her "dialogue" with the people.. Who's interests are being represented? What prospects are there for true reform and a freer press as a result of the fight?

Well , Im of the opinion that it IS good . If this goverment continues to push the envelope with their shennanigans , . Its verry possible that all this could potentially come to a head. Dont underestimate the power of arrogance.
I am sure that this year will be chock full of news about currupt goverment officials doing uncovered. Fraud , etc.
Lets hope the argentine people react accordingly in not acepting the status quo of goverment corruption.
I think this needs to be played out.
Time has a virtue of shedding light on dark deeds.

Fabe said:
Lets hope the argentine people react accordingly in not acepting the status quo of goverment corruption.
I think this needs to be played out.

I'm not saying that the fight is entirely bad...perhaps it is a significant improvement over Clarin being in bed with the government as it had been for many years. My point is that this fight will do nothing to fix the "status quo of government corruption" because I highly doubt any institutional reforms will come out of it. This is a rut Argentina has been stuck in for years.

I hope the argentine people act accordingly as well. However, they really are not helped much by the press. What's more, demands for significant reform are highest when the economy is in crisis, as in 2001-2003. Even then, real reform did not take place. For many Argentines the economy seems to be fairing well right now. Over and over I've heard people say that Argentine politicians "Roban pero hacen" (steal, but do). When the economy is well people become complaisant to government corruption as politicians are able to take credit for the economy and enhance social services. Sadly, in Argentina corruption has become a political norm.

Back