Is Argentina Still a Good Deal?

oddDistribution

Registered
Let's say you're trying to decide where to retire abroad. With the recent price increases in USD terms does it make sense to focus on other options in South America? Or maybe to just give them more consideration than before?

If your main concern is price, there are cheaper places. Come to Argentina if you like Argentina. Its definitely getting more expensive.
I've been there and I do like it, but if I can't afford a solid lifestyle there, then that doesn't really matter..

Argentina is still a great value today for what it offers, imo. I think the issue is risk of future change; a place like Colombia is more predictable in terms of cost of living. Of course, you'll be living in Colombia. No wrong answers here; hopefully, just intelligent choices.

100% Argentina is a superior choice . For price only, drive south of the Border and stay in a small locale in Mexico, and commute to San Diego for business.
People are saying like 'if you only care about price go here', or 'if you only care about price don't go to Argentina' but of course there's always somewhere cheaper go. Also, more expense places for that matter.

Maybe this is an unanswerable question. Right before the election people were telling me that I could live like a king in BA for 3k per month USD. I that's probably no longer the case sadly.

I wonder how Argentina compares to Columbia and Brazil now.

People are saying like 'if you only care about price go here', or 'if you only care about price don't go to Argentina' but of course there's always somewhere cheaper go. Also, more expense places for that matter.

Maybe this is an unanswerable question. Right before the election people were telling me that I could live like a king in BA for 3k per month USD. I that's probably no longer the case sadly.

I wonder how Argentina compares to Columbia and Brazil now.
It's so hard to say, because people's expectations and consumption patterns still vary so much.

Really, the ideal reference is a good friend who knows your style. Of course, if you are in a position to try living somewhere for a few months, that's a great barometer, too.

While I genuinely like Colombia, I would rather be mindful of my spending in BA than free in my spending somewhere else.

YMMV

The financial situation is too unstable at the moment to be able to compare to other countries. Just as an example, with the current 20% difference between the blue and official Dollar exchange rates, there are hints that the Peso might be allowed to float freely, I would guess, at some midpoint between the two rates. That would be another shock for anyone who's been living it up on the Blue Dollar (everything maybe 10% more expensive for them), added to the 15-20% monthly inflation in Pesos, with the Blue Dollar no longer moving in sympathy.

Plus there's the whole destabilizing political shitshow going on at the same time, with the likelihood of industrial action, blockades, or who knows what will happen next.

Colombia is nice, as long as you don't live in Bogota (or indeed Medellin), and you like beaches :cool:

Retirement generally equals fixed income. You need a place with relative predictability.

There have been bubble periods in Argentina when the country was a good deal in dollar terms. However there have been plenty of times in the last couple of decades (including today) when it hasn’t been so amazing in this regard.

Back to predictably. The only thing that’s predictable here is instability. I can understand the question of giving it more consideration than before, but unfortunately you’re never going to really know.

If your budget is tight, I’d recommend another country or be willing to adjust your lifestyle during the swings.

As mentioned above, it’s a beautiful country and culture. If you are in love with Argentina, by all means you should give it a shot because most of us here would say it’s worth it. But we’re all biased of course :)

It's so hard to say, because people's expectations and consumption patterns still vary so much.

Really, the ideal reference is a good friend who knows your style. Of course, if you are in a position to try living somewhere for a few months, that's a great barometer, too.

While I genuinely like Colombia, I would rather be mindful of my spending in BA than free in my spending somewhere else.

YMMV
Yea, that would be perfect if I had a friend in BA that I could chat with. Like, someone from a similar background as me.

I can't live there before I stop working unfortunately.

Back