Is BA safe for women ?

eyvandeth

Registered
Hello everyone !
I'm a 20 years old woman and I will study in Buenos Aires during 4 months. I will stay at Monsserat alone and I was wondering if this part of the city was safe for women? Can I go home at night safety? Or should I change my plan and find a roomate ?

Thanks for your answer

It's probably ok. Which part of Montserrat? Some parts are nicer than others.

I live in Montserrat now. If you are on or close to a main avenue you are probably ok. There are a lot more police in that area than 6 months ago, I see them almost every other block now. Smaller side streets could be a little riskier. It isn´t any more dangerous than other parts of Buenos Aires, but there are less people around at night.

I live in Montserrat now. If you are on or close to a main avenue you are probably ok. There are a lot more police in that area than 6 months ago, I see them almost every other block now. Smaller side streets could be a little riskier. It isn´t any more dangerous than other parts of Buenos Aires, but there are less people around at night.

I (a senior person) do not walk after 10 pm in smaller streets other than Sta. Fe Avenue...The many policemen you see standing at night, playing with their mobiles, are doing overtime paid by restaurants and kioskos . They will not help you ... when in distress They will call for a patrol if available..!

A young woman alone at night should use an UBER. Its dangerous to flag a cab at night by a woman alone... many cabs wait outside clubs for inebriated foreign women in the A. M. to attempt rape.

Last edited:
A young woman alone at night should use an UBER. Its dangerous to flag a cab at night by a woman alone... many cabs wait outside clubs for inebriated foreign women in the A. M. to attempt rape.

Highly exagerrated. Absolutely disagree basis living in this city for about 10 years and knowing many women ( local and foreign) in their 20's and 30's.

In fact, many Uber drivers are known to stalk women via text messages after completion of trip.

Taxi drivers of BA are one the best and one of the MOST polite in South America.

Hello everyone !
I'm a 20 years old woman and I will study in Buenos Aires during 4 months. I will stay at Monsserat alone and I was wondering if this part of the city was safe for women? Can I go home at night safety? Or should I change my plan and find a roomate ?

Thanks for your answer
Where do you come from? What's it like there? It's quite hard to give an absolute answer and to give a comparative answer needs something to compare with. Two things: as an elderly bloke I felt quite safe at night in the neighbourhood when I was staying at a hotel there some years ago but I'd suggest you do the same as I did and use the daylight hours to pick out the streets and corners you might want to avoid at night. And the other thing: unless you are studying on your own you will start and finish classes with other people so expect to have trustworthy company some of the way home.

It's just crossed my mind that you might be talking about your security in your own building. If it is a respectable hotel or monitored apartment building you should have no problems at all. Just don't use your keys to let in anybody you don't know. If they belong there, they will have their own keys.

My wife finds BA safer than any given american city, at night. She is quite a bit older than you are, and will often go out, on her own, after midnight to dance, and come home at 3 or 4, walking, taking buses, and not be concerned. She does not have expensive watches or jewelry, or carry expensive cameras, computers, or phones, though- which, in my opinion, are the targets of choice. I am in my 60s, I go see music with her or alone, and often walk around very late, with no problems. That said, there are areas I am cautious in- near train stations, always, for example. Constitucion in particular is pretty dicey, and I am always alert, day or night, in La Boca.

Buenos Aires is safe, when compared to many other major metropolitan cities through out the world.

The most important things you can do, is, get to know your neighborhood. If you are not familiar with BA plan your route before you go out. You should be aware of your surroundings at all times. Have all Police contact telephone #s handy should the need arise.

I recommend staying away from Uber, because they are illegal in Argentina and not all drivers carry professional licenses. Cabify and the Black and Yellows are your best option. Cabify is a Spanish company that is licensed here in Argentina and operates legally. ALL Cabify drivers have professional licenses. You can link your credit card to the App, The App is very good once you get familiar with it.

Easy Taxi is linked with the yellow and black city taxies you see everywhere. I love the Easy Taxi App because they respond very quickly and there is a text messaging app within the app that you can use to communicate with your driver., You won't be able to link your credit card and you will have to pay in Pesos at the end of your ride with Easy Taxi App. Try to avoid picking up taxies directly from the street, but if you must, find the best and cleanest looking cars to get into.

Back