Is BsAs over rated?

It would be just fine with me if the international reputation as party central went away. Thats certainly not what I am here for.
There are definitely places on earth where you can get drunk, cheaper.

I find a lot of interesting music that is not rock nacional or cheezy Skrillex clones- and I find a pretty great underground scene- but its not in bars, by and large. I am interested in art, architecture, new music, fashion design, history, industrial and furniture design, and fugazetta, and, in all those categories, I dont find BsAs over rated at all.

But if it had less loud expats in their cups, red faced and yelling, on their 13th round, I cant say I would be disappointed.

robwerwe said:
Not quite sure what that has to do with the post.
I don't spend that much on drinking to be honest but I do like a good party on a Friday

Perhaps life in Argentina is over rated...especially for those seeking more drama.

robwerwe said:
Its not just the boliches its the bars, the galleries, the cafes. There just doesn't seem to be any onda here.

I feel a bit lost for places to hang out on a Friday night after work that have something different, i.e. not Plastic Palermo or seedy Reconquista. San Telmo feels pretty dead too.

You read Time Out and everywhere sounds amazing, you get there and its just a boring bar with a pool table (puerta roja)

I really want to be proven wrong but I'm running out of new places to try.

San Telmo is definitely not dead. You just have to know where to look. I stayed there during my visit and, from a partying perspective, would not rather have stayed anywhere else. Recoleta was fun to visit, Palermo was pointlessly overpriced and plastic, but San Telmo had cowbell and character.

steveinbsas said:
Perhaps life in Argentina is over rated...especially for those seeking more drama.

Um, hm, no, I wouldn't say that. I've been to a lot of world capitals, and honestly, compared to BsAs, they feel like funeral home parlours. I would say BsAs's reputation as party central is well-deserved. It wasn't the primary purpose of my visit, but I got a taste anyway. It is pretty lively!

Plus, it is the only place I know of where I can sit outside at 4 AM at a sidewalk cafe and drink coffee on a Sunday night/Monday morning (the slowest night, to say nothing of other nights!) and not feel in the slightest bit societally abnormal because the place is packed!

I always appreciated the Spain-like late dinners. I don't think we had dinner before 11 PM at any point that I was there, and that worked very well for me.

I grew up as an Expat kid here and I thought BA was a flat boring city. Then I moved abroad for 15 years where I lived in some of the world largest cities (NY, Paris, Dubai, Mexico City...) and have been to many other for work. Looking back, I can say I was wrong... BA has a lot to offer if you know where to look. You need to burst the expat bubble and try to do as porteños do. I still cannot believe that NYC is the City that never sleeps when is clear that by 2am everyone is back home. Now I am older and with a family of my own, I am not really interested in bars, clubs, etc and I can appreciate that there is a lot more to do. BA is one of the few places where the taxi driver reads portry at night in bars, the plumber has a rock band, and the cable guy is in a small theater play. In other cities... a taxi driver is just a taxi driver, a plumber is just a plumber, and the cable guy is just the cable guy.
If you are looking just for bars... try Ibiza, Vegas, or Dubai.

expatinowncountry said:
I still cannot believe that NYC is the City that never sleeps when is clear that by 2am everyone is back home.
I guess I will have to show you around New York.

expatinowncountry said:
Now I am older and with a family of my own, I am not really interested in bars, clubs, etc and I can appreciate that there is a lot more to do. BA is one of the few places where the taxi driver reads portry at night in bars, the plumber has a rock band, and the cable guy is in a small theater play.
I agree. This is very unique to this city. That is why I find it fascinating that this country is now the butt-whole of South America. This country should be leading the charge. Yet those poetry reading cab drivers and rock band plumbers keep putting fascists in power over here. Go figure.....

camberiu said:
I guess I will have to show you around New York.

Hahaha... you may know better but it is too late... I am way past the sex and the city life style. Lived 5 years in NYC and I do not think is the place to raise kids... except if you are a billionaire and you live in front of the Central Park.

Wednesday or Thursday - after office. Youll be at home at 12-1

Fridays or Saturday - go outide of capital

Also add many places you have been to fb or twitter and try to come into contact with the local PR guys of those places. You will get loads of invitations soon

expatinowncountry said:
Hahaha... you may know better but it is too late... I am way past the sex and the city life style. Lived 5 years in NYC and I do not think is the place to raise kids... except if you are a billionaire and you live in front of the Central Park.

New York has lots of very smart people that you can meet, cultural events, shows, concerts, etc.... There is no place like it on earth, in my opinion.

Also, if you know where to go, once can raise a family very comfortably on a low 6 figure income in NYC.
Woodside Queens, for example is very safe, clean, inexpensive (for NYC standards) and only 15 minutes away from Manhattan via the 7 subway line. There are lots of parks and open spaces with all the conveniences of the big city. Oh, did I mention that it is pretty safe and clean? One can rent a 3 bedroom apt there for less than what a foreigner would pay for a similar apt here in BA. One can live with a family VERY comfortably in a place like Woodside with in a low 6 figure income. Sure, it is not glamorous as living in Manhattan, but who cares?

camberiu said:
New York has lots of very smart people that you can meet, cultural events, shows, concerts, etc.... There is no place like it on earth, in my opinion.

Also, if you know where to go, once can raise a family very comfortably on a low 6 figure income in NYC.
Woodside Queens, for example is very safe, clean, inexpensive (for NYC standards) and only 15 minutes away from Manhattan via the 7 subway line. There are lots of parks and open spaces with all the conveniences of the big city. Oh, did I mention that it is pretty safe and clean? One can rent a 3 bedroom apt there for less than what a foreigner would pay for a similar apt here in BA. One can live with a family VERY comfortably in a place like Woodside with in a low 6 figure income. Sure, it is not glamorous as living in Manhattan, but who cares?

Funny, we were living in the 7 line but in Flushing. We loved the cheap and fresh sushi, the very cheap vegetables and fruits and the low rent. However, my point was not only about affordability (the billionaire thing was related to the materialism in the States), we want our kids to have a proper childhood... the US is very competitive and materialistic for our taste (and I do not mean to offend anyone here) and we thought that the way people interact (type of friendships) was not what we wanted for them.
And yes, NYC is awesome... thanks to my work I get to go every years at least once so I do not miss it much.

Back