Is Buenos Aires REALLY dangerous?

I know there's a lot of responses here, but I think safety is a personal definition.

I moved here from Detroit, so to me, no gunshots and less sexual harassment automatically makes me feel more safe. That's doesn't mean I can't be targeted, but I'm used to living with my head on a swivel.

I guess the biggest thing whenever I travel someplace new is getting a feel for what dangerous neighborhoods, sketchy people look like.

For me, I try to mind my business around groups of teenage boys.
But living close to Champagnat (large almost all male high school in Recoleta) is very safe.

I mean, if you live in a barrio cerrado, don't go out at night, move around by car with windows closed... is it really likely to get robbed or to experience some sort of violence? Thanks!!
I don´t know barrio cerrados, but you might ask how safe - or isolated - the area around the barrio cerrado is. After the 2002 crash, some people moved to barrio cerrados from expensive areas of Capital Federal, only to return. The problem was that some people driving out of the barrio cerrados were kidnapped by waiting criminals.

Back