Is Cuim/precaria Your Dni: Flying With Aerolinea/lan Interna

BABlade

Registered
Hello,

After getting married in Feb I finally got round to and gathered all the documents required to apply for permanent residency here. I got given my Precaria while I wait for my DNI to arrive which could be from between 1 and 5 months from the stories I've heard.

I'm sure most people know that the difference in flight prices for residents is much cheaper than they are for extranjeros! I'm hoping to fly to Mendoza from Buenos and was hoping to use my precaria CUIM number (which I assume and have read on other forums is different to my future DNI number) as my identification document to secure a cheaper flight.
Does anyone have experience doing this previously or know of any way to find out your DNI number before it actually arrives fro m the precaria???

I look forward to any helpful responses!!!!

Thanks

BABlade

I went to inquire at Aerolineas when I was in your shoes and they nay-ed me. Not sure if someone used a workaround and can suggest an alternative.

The fare rules for the discounted fares on domestic flights on both Aerolineas and LAN state the following:

SALES ARE RESTRICTED TO PERMANENT RESIDENTS OF THE
ORIGIN COUNTRY.

Precaria is not permanent residency (right?) so you don't qualify - yet.

I flew out of the country a few weeks after I got my precaria, and the guy at passport control told me I'd already been approved for permanent residency and wrote my DNI into my passport. It's a bit of an expensive way to find out your DNI though.

6 weeks is normal to get your DNI delivered.

Permanent you mean temporary also? If you have dni yes, with precaria no.

I always got my dni in less than 4 weeks, but one girl at work already made new one year after and still didn't get it...

Permanent means permanent.
Precaria is pretty much the exact opposite of permanent - the most appropriate English translation is 'conditional'. It means you can stay around while we process your case.

After speaking with Aerolineas today, they said that as long as the Precaria states the address where you reside then it CAN be used to purchase tickets (which it does!!!)
I'm a bit wary of buying a ticket as I can see me being denied at the airport, even though they ok'd it over the phone. Does anyone know if it would be possible to change the identity document from my precaria to passport at the last minute *i.e. if I'm refused at the airport.

But if you can work with your precaria -- and presumably pay taxes while you do -- why can't you get the fares for Argentine residents? To me, it seems like one of those famous gray areas... Probably depends on who you deal with more than anything else.

Permanent means permanent.
Precaria is pretty much the exact opposite of permanent - the most appropriate English translation is 'conditional'. It means you can stay around while we process your case.

Precaria is also mentioned as Temporaria as apposed to Premanente ?

After speaking with Aerolineas today, they said that as long as the Precaria states the address where you reside then it CAN be used to purchase tickets (which it does!!!)
I'm a bit wary of buying a ticket as I can see me being denied at the airport, even though they ok'd it over the phone. Does anyone know if it would be possible to change the identity document from my precaria to passport at the last minute *i.e. if I'm refused at the airport.

You could try to buy at an Aerolineas office. Have them note something in your reservation and on paper...preferably their stamp/sello. You are right to be concerned that the call center would provide incorrect information. The people at the gatekeepers as you rightly note.

Before I 'got legal' I flew LAN a couple times on resident fares. I brought my rental contact that I knew wouldn't probably help, but it made me feel better to show I was residing in the country. ;) I was boarded no problem...even as a family. I even checked luggage on one trip.

Back