Is Environmentalism going too far?

I was watching Obama's State Of The Union address last night, and right in the middle of it he talks about man-made global warming and "the overwhelming evidence" in support of this, and pauses with a little smirk/chuckle like he's saying "those poor hillbilly schmucks that believe the damndest things."

One of the only good things that happened during the Bush administration was that we kept out of the Kyoto Accords. With Obama in office, I see the US trying to move closer to the rest of the world with this idiotic religion and doing something stupid to "combat" the "forces of evil" (i.e., global warming).

Obama pretty much used the religionists' argument to believe in God even if you don't think God exists - what can it hurt, and if it turns out to be true, you've come out good!

So I don't know - I fear the religion of man-made global warming is still proceeding apace, with the Annointed One (Obama), apparently beloved in all the world after the crap that Bush did, in line to be a huge proponent and keep the fear alive a bit longer.

Religion is not so easily quashed with fact, as we have seen over the last few millenia...

objectiveous said:
Let's hope so. Then, maybe we can get on with the business of rolling out nuclear energy and, as a result, raise peoples standard of living.

Funny how some people claim to hate derivatives and speculation but just love Cap&Trade. WTF?

The one good thing that is coming out of this global warming crap is an acceptance of nuclear energy, as a fuel that creates no greenhouse gasses and uses few of the worlds natural resources.
We need to accept and understand the risks, of course, and take care to minimise them. But when they talk of low level waste and underground dumps, lets not forget that the uranium used to start the whole thing off comes from mines in the first place. There are some very radioactive places in Cornwall where there has never been a nuclear plant.

Are you seriously saying that nuclear waste products is the same as natural occurring Uranium?

orwellian said:
Are you seriously saying that nuclear waste products is the same as natural occurring Uranium?

I Never said that. and I was refering to low level nuclear waste.

Well I'm just glad I finally have some slight proof that the Internet is making these kind of power-scams more rapidly dismissable. But as El Queso says, religion is not easily squashed - specially when there's little else to fill the void.

The sad part of Political/Religious Environmentalism is that it undermines the legitimate science and human concern for a Healthy Environment: the way to achieve that is through more technology, more planet alteration, more artificial means, (more freedom) while these guys propose just the opposite: the "Anti Industrial Revolution".

I'd love to make this a non political debate and hear what "pro-greens" have to say, again in a non confrontative way, but as an open, free of cliché accusations discussion.

SafeRedirect.aspx

Back