Is it all down to lack of respect???

The degradation of youth... inflation... the impending end of the world... all things each generation complains about as if it were something new.

As to the OP: doesn't viveza criolla answer it all?

syngirl said:
I think when Argentines say "its because we're such a young country" they don't necessarily mean their entire history, they mean their time as a democratic nation.
President Roque Sáenz Peña enacted universal male suffrage and secret ballots in 1912, with later ups and downs.

That is not so terribly much later than several of the European absolute kingdoms and empires and elsewhere, earlier than some of them.

General suffrage/political franchise for men (women's suffrage were mostly later): New Zealand 1893, Finland 1906, most other European nations after 1848 but only for land owners etc., the populace considerably later, e.g. England after 1885 and several had universal male suffrage only after 1915-18.

It's no secret, that Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Rumania, Serbia, Austria before 1918, and several other European countries also had their ups and downs in democracy.

bradlyhale said:
The other day I was delivering an item to a woman in Palermo. At the same time, there was a guy delivering a pizza. When she came to the door, we started talking, and she eventually asked me where I was from. I told her I was from the United States, and the guy delivering a pizza (still waiting for the customer to come down) said, "Wow, ¡que nivel!" Why is it that a person delivering something from a place called the "United States" is more valued than a person delivering something from a placed called "Argentina"? It all made me cringe inside. We don't need to use nationalist appeals to make people feel as if they are a part of something, and it seems to me that doing so only results in inequality and feelings of superiority/inferiority on the global stage.

Well, I'm sure what he was referring to was the abundance of opportunities you have as an Estadounidense to become more successful than that of a deliveryman and yet you're in Argentina delivering whatever it was you were delivering. I bet that guy would have killed to be in your position when you were younger, hence the reasoning behind his comment in regards to nivel. Everyone's situation is different, but for the most part if you're not successful as a citizen of the US then there is something wrong with you.

Hey John -- what I meant is that they are referring to the amount of time since they emerged from the dictatorship, when a lot of personal rights were taken away, and a return to democracy -- according to some pundits / philosophers / writers / what have you -- led to an unleashing of the importance of the individual over the group. At first perhaps as a burst of happy emotion and now perhaps with some detriment to the good of society as a whole.

8000 pesos isnt much
its less than 2k a month which is poverty in most countries
i applaud her for seeking more pay

also small kids crying doesnt make me feel sympathetic, they are always whining

AkBill... U R way off...thinking that 2k$ a month is poverty in most countries... Less than 100$ a month..is what 60% of this planet earn..

AkBill said:
8000 pesos isnt much
its less than 2k a month which is poverty in most countries
i applaud her for seeking more pay

I give up..the expats that spend their lives converting back to USD kill me..why leave your country if life boils down to USD? I suggest you invent a gadget called "the patculator"which automatically converts everything back to USD..that way you can sell it to poor workers in Shanghai, Mumbia and Sofia and they can convert their meagre wages into USD at the press of a button and start mounting strikes to complain at their USD losses..PLEASE!!!! You live in Argentina. Lose the calculator or go home.:mad:

ok
my calculater is in the basura and im on the way home, which isnt the USA

I just feel like $500 a month is nothing. How would someone travel on that pay? to europe or anywhere? Presumably you arent argentina..so u travelled to get here.....why deny that opportunity to others?

John.St said:
You are not going to get away with this in one piece :D

Sokrates told everyone who would listen (plus those who wouldn't - and look what that got him!) about the hopeless youth 2,500 years ago.

Since then it's been down the slope, each generation worse than the previous - that is if we are to believe the older generations, who don't see themselves as worse than the previous ones.

The people I mentioned "... Argentinos .. the way they burst out from e.g. shops into the street as if they were all alone in the world." in http://baexpats.org/expat-life/15934-argentine-mysteries-2.html#post116757 are anywhere from 20 to 60-70 years old (the older ones cannot burst out from anywhere, and the younger ones rarely do, in my experience).

The 50-70 years old were not small children in the 1980's.

Edit: I am actually surprised at, and impressed by, how gentle and respectful the young Argentinos under 20 years are, at least here in Mendoza. /Edit

John you have such a gentle spirit and introduced culture into my prevuous cultureless rant. Thank you. Please note I mentioned nothing of youth as I know many 20 somethings that have more compassion, ethics and professionalism that many 50 somethings I know. This is an ideological argument: you either believe you must grab all you can for yourself in this one short life, at the expense of your neighbour or you chose to see yourself and your neighbour live in equal harmony for the well-being of both and the community as a whole. To the former the latter seem like wimps and to the latter the former are savages. This argument will reign for generations to come...except in those that educate their kids in the way that best befits a harmonious world. Yours idealistically F

Back