Is It Better To Be Fired Or To Quit?

All this idea of legal wrangling for pennies is just distasteful. They treated you badly ok..but did you always hit back in the school yard when some kid tried to hit you? If you're an ethical, justice believing person walk away. Don't waste your time in ugly, bitter, negative legal efforts and say ciao. Go find the life you seek and know that the b**t**ds that screwed you over will get their come uppance some day, somehow.Wishing you well.

If I had money I'd say screw it all, it's not worth the headache, but since I don't even if I got a 1,000 ars from them it would be something...

If I had money I'd say screw it all, it's not worth the headache, but since I don't even if I got a 1,000 ars from them it would be something...

Are a few bucks really worth the frustration, stress and unhappyness?

Think of the whole situation as a great oportunity you might not have a again in your life. Neither family, significant other(s), friends, job, carreer, house, pet or other responsibilties hold you in Buenos Aires. You are absolutely free to go where you want. It does not take much money to be happy. And you can earn money along the way when you travel.

Then after, start your new job teaching English, as such someone in this forum asked/offered you?. Probably you would make more money and be happier !

Yes, if I do get a job then I won't have the time to stress over this and I'd love to teach English instead. Hopefully things will work out.

I would leave ONCE I had the new job. However, make sure your employer pays you the the 2 months of salary (30 days pre-aviso + 1 month of severance) + your aguinaldo & proportion of vacation (which should come to roughly another month). David gave you the law and any employer must adhere to it or face a hefty lawsuit + fines.

I'm in agreement not to quit and get your just rewards from your employer as well.

One thing to think about even when getting fired or getting your just rewards in any case - you can sue and will probably end up winning but the process is long and drawn out. My sister-in-law was fired the day after she told the restaurant she worked for that she was pregnant. She has what seems like a good lawyer, but only in the last week or two have they even gotten a judge to agree to hear the case, mostly due to the stalling the owner did. He even forged receipts AFTER the telegram was sent firing her, trying to show that she was stealing from them. the owner is a lawyer, has a lot of his employees paid in black and few licenses. He's from a well-connected family.

The owner's going to go down bad, eventually (according to my sister-in-law's lawyer, who is just aghast at what the idiot has been doing), but the her lawyer's estimate is that it could drag out another year and it's been a year already. And then, once there's a judgement, there's collecting the money.

The laws may benefit the worker, but the system benefits those who have good contacts and know who to see or pay to keep the wheels turning in their favor, from what I've seen.

I'm also on a temporary work visa, and switched to a different company last year. I can share some info with you based on my own experience. I would add to other's comments that it is wise to have another job lined up, if you decide to quit, because of the regulations of your work visa. You are allowed to change jobs and move to a different company with a temporary work visa. However, you cannot have missed one day of work. That is, you will need a Constancia de Baja from your former employer; let's say that your last day of work was, for example, Friday July 4th. The contract for your new job would have to start immediately the following Monday, July 7th, with a Constancia de Alta to the new company. This is what my immigration lawyer told me, and naturally other paperwork from your new employer is required to renew your work visa. Of course, specific information on changing employers for a work visa is not available on the Migraciones website, so in situations like these, it is better to talk to a legal expert on the subject.

If you quit, the legal way to do it is to send them written notification. You would go to the Correo Argentino to send an official notice, indicating your last day of work. They would then be legally required to provide you with the necessary paperwork (including your last pay stubs, etc), so that you can present this paperwork to Migraciones when you renew your visa.

Best of luck, and I hope that things get better for you soon.

If you have some computer skills, I know of a possible job for you doing client-facing work with North American clients. I know they are also looking for Portuguese for Brazilian clients as well. The work is fairly demanding, but rewarding.
I don't work there anymore, but I am on good terms with, and still talk with former colleagues in important positions.

It will not be quick (I was actually in negotiations and interviews with them for around 4 months) but it was a great job.
I successfully helped another baexpat member to get a job there.
PM me if you are interested. I can send an email to my contacts on the project.

Back