Is It Just Me? Voluntary Deportation

Ib2marie

Registered
So after lurking for almost a year (since first moving to BA) here is my first post, and it aint pretty, but I figured I could use the advise of expats, and to be honest, I have avoided expats since arriving, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because I moved for a boyfriend and a job and was immediately immersed into the porteño circle--Alas, none of that has lasted. So, I will cry you guys a river (Sorry) in hopes of getting some advise.

I have tried to make it work out for me in BA, and I am by no means a sheltered, closed gal, I hold 2 nationalities (US and European) and have lived abroad for most of my life (IE: ¨home¨ is nowhere, basically)

But I am soooo ¨challenged¨ ---yes, that would be the best word, with Buenos Aires. I have tried fervently to make it work, and tonight, after a shouting match with a client who swears she knows more English than I do although it´s my native language, has refused to pay me for for some work I did for her NGO, while I had been thinking, oh it´s an NGO, she´s nice, she will pay. I will give her time. BIG MISTAKE. It makes me think that I've hit the end of the road with BA.

When I first arrived, it was all rose coloured and peachy. My job and BF were both wonderful, I met many many new friends (his) and I kind of chuckled at the ¨Porteño ways¨, even when I had the diamond bracelet my deceased parents got me on graduation stolen out of my LOCKED locker at the gym of the spa of one of the ¨top three¨ hotels in the city, I took it in stride!!! (Makes me cry now, however)

Now that I´m out on my own, the outright snobbishness, government corruption which trickles down to the citizens, and way that I am looked down on here (this holding 2 ¨important¨ nationalities, a doctorate from a prominent European university, and generally being well-mannered) has been one of the very few things in my life and travels that has brought me to tears.

I feel like there's an attitude that, ¨well, this is just how it IS here, and you need to accept it¨ for just about everything, when, anyone who has lived elsewhere knows that this is not the case. I can buy imported goods in both the US and the UK without feeling like I´m being robbed (peanut butter for 45 pesos??? Mexican chip salsa for 30 pesos???) or ¨cheating¨ on my country.

The fact of the matter is that part of the reason that I have tried to make it work is because I cannot really afford to go back home, having been earning in pesos for almost a year, and the peso continuing to get devalued, it makes it impossible for me to fly to just about anywhere.

Does anyone know if there is any type of consular/embassy assistance when you have overstayed your visa in regards to voluntary deportation? Obviously if you over stay you always run the risk of getting deported, but is there a way to put the wheels in motion voluntarily?

Unfortunately for you, migraciones is very tolerant of those who overstay thier visas.

Perhaps you could create a paypal account and ask for donations from sympathetic expats.

I think there are many of us who would be willing help you.

(This doesn't sound like a scam to me, but I would seriously question a copycat in the future.)

I hope you will answer any challenging questions before anyone actualy makes a donation.

If you're really pretty, nice, and enjoy cooking and yard work you could also visit me for a while before you flee.:p

@steve

haha, i would never stoop so low! i would never consider asking migraciones (of argentina) for help, the question was, would one of my countries (England or the US) assist a fellow citizen in getting back, worst case scenario?

Great eyes by the way! ;)

thank you brad, i will look into this but do you happen to know how they´d make me ¨prove¨ i could pay back the loan? I havent been working in the US in years, so have no demonstrated income.

I´m sorry if the question has offended anybody, but that IS what embassies/consultates are for, to assist citizens in need when abroad. I am sure there are MANY people on here, based on the rants I have read lately, who would secretly appreciate the info FYI.

Hello

A friend of mine from Germany but born in Argentina told me that if he is in trouble the German Embassy pays for his assistance or flight whatever is the case and he pays the money back when he is home that´s the reason why he never uses Argentine documents of course he is a German citizen. Speak to your Embassy Iam sure they should offer you some help, there must be a way for you to return home
Reina

Actually, I am serious about the paypal account...even if it's a last resort,

If you had been a member here for a couple years you would probably already have received a number of offers to help.

Nonetheless, my intuition tells me you are sincere.

Please keep us informed.

Let this be a lesson to all newcomers. Moving abroad or staying abroad for love is romantic and all, but do the best you can to form your own life outside of your relationship with a local, because if it ends and you haven't, you will be completely alone. I've seen so many friends go through this. All those friends you thought were your friends too, poof, gone in an instant. You are automatically ejected from the circle of trust. They probably won't even return your calls. It is very hard to bounce back without connections here.

Ib2Marie, best of luck to you in the next chapter of your life.

I feel bad for you for what you're telling, but there's one thing that I can't believe:

"(this holding 2 ¨important¨ nationalities, a doctorate from a prominent European university"

wtf does this mean? That if you didn't have an """""""""important""""""""" nationality it'd be ok for people to look down on you? that you deserve more respect because you have a doctorate??? I don't get it.

No, this is not MY thought process or what I think, however it is my opinion that the general consensus of many locals, based on what I have experienced is that it ¨matters¨ significantly.

Actually I have had more than one porteño (including a pretty important recruiter) tell me something along the lines of, ¨Well, you're foreign, but at least you aren't Peruvian or Bolivian--Then you'd never be able to find a decent job here.¨ (In a comforting, reassuring tone that is supposed to make me feel better about being a foreigner looking to blend into the job market or otherwise)

I feel bad for you for what you're telling, but there's one thing that I can't believe:

"(this holding 2 ¨important¨ nationalities, a doctorate from a prominent European university"

wtf does this mean? That if you didn't have an """""""""important""""""""" nationality it'd be ok for people to look down on you? that you deserve more respect because you have a doctorate??? I don't get it.

Back