Is It Just Me? Voluntary Deportation

I was questioning whether "I don't like my life here" would fall under the category of distressed citizen ;) I would assume there would be some more pressing issues, ie homelessness, abusive relationship, urgent family issues in the US, etc.

I'm still wondering how someone who has lived abroad for multiple years doesn't have access to a credit card or some source of funds. That seems shocking to me.

Me too. I'm calling bullshit on the OP's thread. No way in hell any American / European with a Doctorate doesn't have access to $ 400 usd for a one way ticket back to the US. Seriously ?

citygirl said:
I'm still wondering how someone who has lived abroad for multiple years doesn't have access to a credit card or some source of funds. That seems shocking to me.

TheBlackHand said:
Me too. I'm calling bullshit on the OP's thread. No way in hell any American / European with a Doctorate doesn't have access to $ 400 usd for a one way ticket back to the US. Seriously ?

Please post any links you know of that offer one way tickets to the US for $400 USD.

There are probably a few expats who have a desire to leave and would be happy to get out that cheap!;)

steveinbsas said:
Please post any links you know of that offer one way tickets to the US for $400 USD.

There are probably a few expats who have a desire to leave and would be happy to get out that cheap!;)

i'm not gonna start looking now but over the last months i've seen countless of times 400 usd one way tickets to miami and dallas, mostly american airlines

bebero said:
i'm not gonna start looking now but over the last months i've seen countless of times 400 usd one way tickets to miami and dallas, mostly american airlines

No wonder they're in bankruptcy.:D

Weird. I just searched on kayak for all kinds of dates to Miami, and can't find anything under $1000.

Blackhand, maybe you have lived in a bubble, but we are living in tough economic times globally where even people who were once CEOs of companies are jobless, let alone someone in their late 30s with a doctorate.

I was never one to have credit cards, as when I lived abroad I always had a good income and was a cash buyer, and now I cannot get one because I do not live in either the US or Europe nor have income in either of these 2 places where I would be eligible for one.

It is not always as easy as people think it is.

Also-FYI regarding your $400 fare notion, all airlines charge the FULL fare on one-way tickets, so often times it is cheaper to buy round trips even if you dont plan to use the return leg. And the only fares for $400 I have seen are to Lima or Bogota.

Also FYI, part of the reason I posted this was not so much as to get help on how to leave (which is appreciated) but I kind of expected people to paint another picture for me of BA with hopes of perhaps seeing it in another light, however I am assuming that many expats may be able to relate to my situation which is why they are quick to offer help on how I can get out rather than console me into giving it another chance (which again, much appreciated)

Bullshit or not, who's to know other than the op?

The repatriation loan seems the best and obvious rescue path and the embassy has processes in place to filter out the scammers and to help those needing repatriation.

TrevorCito said:
The repatriation loan seems the best and obvious rescue path and the embassy has processes in place to filter out the scammers and to help those needing repatriation.

Agreed. Perhaps I'm biased (being a U.S. citizen), but I'm not sure if there's any other country that takes care of its citizens abroad like the United States.

IB2Marie -- If you want more information on the repatriation loan, the U.S. Citizens Services window is open for general inquiries from 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. They won't be open Thursday or Friday due to the holiday, but on Monday you could go and get information. You would just need to go with your passport, and request to speak with a consular officer regarding the repatriation loan. Best of luck to you!

Back