Is it possible to find a truly remote US job from Buenos Aires?

If I understand correctly, you can only get a "work visa" (temporary residency granted by migraciones) if you work in Argentina for a company who actually has a "presence" in Argentina and is authorized by migraciones to hire foreigners to work in Argentina.
Argentina I have covered. I have permanent residency so I can be employed here with no problem. What I was asking is if I might need to get a work visa from a European country if one were to offer me a position.

Argentina I have covered. I have permanent residency so I can be employed here with no problem. What I was asking is if I might need to get a work visa from a European country if one were to offer me a position.
Best thing in that case is to be employed as a contractor as opposed to a permanent employee

Would you mind sharing where you got the number from?

I tried maybe two or three years ago to get a US number that forwarded to our landline but it turned out to be a nightmare. We ended up getting calls in the middle of the night from people in the US saying they had just received a call from our number or had been spammed with SMS messages. We had them change the number once or twice and the same thing kept happening. After that, they wanted us to pay them extra to change the number again. Cancelled everything and told them to GFY.
Sure, I downloaded the “TextMe” app on my iPhone (though I am not sure it is available on Android… it most likely is). It works with incoming and outgoing calls, and I suppose text messages as well (given the name), though I have not had to test that feature out.

I also added the new number to the DoNotCall.gov list, because sure enough, I started receiving calls from solicitors.

If I didn't know better, I'd say LinkedIn is spying on us. I just got this post in my feed:

Worth a look. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that any of the major social networks are somehow spying.

my girlfriend (argentine) tried for several months to find a remote tech job paying in dollars (or euro). couldn't find anything.

most remote jobs upon learning you are in argentina will want to pay you locally. but not many companies have a presence in arg.

if you manage to find one, you won't need a visa to work for a company somewhere else. you officially need right to work where you live.

Have you considered not disclosing your location and using a relative's US address?

Hi all,

I'm a US citizen, living in BA for a long time. I've done a lot of freelance work, so I never really had an actual employer for the majority of the time I've been here. I'm now looking to get into a position in the tech industry somewhere and finding it virtually impossible to get anyone to talk to me because I'm not physically in the US.

I can't even count how many applications I've sent through LinkedIn, Indeed, and other sites. Whenever I get back a rejection that goes beyond the standard canned response, they mention that they don't want to work with "international candidates."

Do any of you work for US companies from BA? Or have in the past? Any tips or advice for finding jobs that are remote anywhere and not just remote US?
They say they have 1,100 jobs open with virtual or telework options. If you get hired, hopefully you'll be one of the few that actually does something for us instead of shuffling the call from one department to another. Good luck.

BTW, if you can't wrangle a GoogleVoice account, you can get a USA Skype-In number. I have both and both work well.

Last edited:
Have you considered not disclosing your location and using a relative's US address?
I've tried using a relative's address, but the problem is always the phone. (I'm now looking into forwarding lines from the US as others have suggested in this thread.

I've tried using a relative's address, but the problem is always the phone. (I'm now looking into forwarding lines from the US as others have suggested in this thread.
Search "Voip" and you'll get plenty of hits.

PM me also if you'd like.

Back