is it possible to renounce/cancel/waive temporary residency?

Rich One said:
"....I had crossed the border three times with just my passport and an Argentine-registered car with no problems." :confused:

El Queso...??
If I understand you correctly if I own an argentine-registered car and are on a tourist visa, then I CAN drive out of the country.....???

why don't you just go to or call Buquebus and see what they say?

they told us at check in (foreign car/DNI) that we could not leave the country. I suppose they should be able to tell you before you get your ticket too...

katti said:
when you had your foreign car, did you have DNI or not? were you temp or perm resident, or tourist?

When I had a foreign car I went in and out of the country six times , on a 90 day-tourist visa,

katti said:
why don't you just go to or call Buquebus and see what they say?

they told us at check in (foreign car/DNI) that we could not leave the country. I suppose they should be able to tell you before you get your ticket too...
(Local Plate/tourist visa)
I checked at the BqB counter, the employee said that as long as I had the cedula azul on my name, valid mercosur insurance, and a valid drivers license it was OK! however inmigation/customs may thik otherwise!!

Rich One said:
When I had a foreign car I went in and out of the country six times , on a 90 day-tourist visa,

Thats correct, we used to do that too, before we had our DNI. Its when we tried to leave with DNI that they wouldn't let us pass.

Rich One said:
(Local Plate/tourist visa)
I checked at the BqB counter, the employee said that as long as I had the cedula azul on my name, valid mercosur insurance, and a valid drivers license it was OK! however inmigation/customs may thik otherwise!!

That is always the problem of course. You might know the law but if the agent doesn't know or doesn't want to apply there is not much you can do.

When we were stopped by the agents with our foreign car/DNI, we asked if we should have come with a local car/DNI, and he said, no, as with a local car you need a permanent license (we have temp DNI).

The first (foreign car/DNI) was confirmed by the head of customs (this was sept last year), the 2nd was just the agents opinion, we didn't ask his superior if that is true and we never tried that. There are several threads about this, but I think they are all quite old, and as law changes daily...

Back