Is It Time To Separate Passengers From Luggage ?

I have a better suggestion: passenger should not pay a fixed price for his/her ticket. The passenger would make a reservation for a flight and the final price would be defined at the airport counter by weighing him/her. They should place the passenger, kids, bags,dogs, etc on a scale and multiply the pounds by a fixed rate. If you are thin you will save money. After all, the planes carry anything by its weight. NO PENALTY FOR EXTRA BAGS,ETCFood and drinks will be sold as in any resto. PRESTO!!!

I actually agree with this one, particularly since the advent of the unfair luggage snuggie, but you might remember weight-challenged individuals sued the airlines when it was insinuated they should pay for an extra seat per extra butt cheek.

Don't remember which airline it was, but the weight-based proposal was actually thought of, but finally dismissed because of the fear customers would avoid it (people don't want to get weighted, feel handled 'unfair', ...). Personally, I think it would be a more fair approach than the current system.

Don't remember which airline it was, but the weight-based proposal was actually thought of, but finally dismissed because of the fear customers would avoid it (people don't want to get weighted, feel handled 'unfair', ...). Personally, I think it would be a more fair approach than the current system.

Yes but that would affect the price of last minute airport laxatives

The cost of doing what you propose would basically double the price of every airline ticket. Probably more than double, as if you double the flights you would need not only double the planes, fuel, and crew, but billions of dollars worth of new radar, flight controllers, runways, airports, and equipment.

1 passenger plane carrying 400 passengers + 1 low cost second hand cargo plane for the 400 luggage.+ (BARE BONES SIMPLE, CLEAR AND GUARANTEED ACHIEVABLE security procedure on the passenger plane and almost ZERO security on the cargo plane)

Instead of:

2 brand new passenger planes. Each carrying 200 passengers + 200 luggage + (COMPLICATED FLAWED NIGHTMARE too big to control full fledged security procedure on each plane)

Cargo plane ahead of the passenger plane. Luggage will be on conveyor even before passengers arrive.

Does it sound like more cost effective AND more safe AND more simple AND more convenient ..... AND ... ?

if and buts, candy and nuts

it's already a pain having to wait, and pray, for the conveyor belt to magically deliver your luggage.
How would your system work? The bags are delivered to your hotel? that sounds like further logistics which translates into more costs.

They attempted something much simpler than what your seem to propose in Denver and the system crashed causing millions of dollars and years of delay
if it`s complicated, it IS wrong!

http://www5.in.tum.d.../DIABaggage.pdf

It would turn into an all-male carrier, since no woman would want to get on a scale. (Sorry ladies, it had to be said.)

It would turn into an all-male carrier, since no woman would want to get on a scale. (Sorry ladies, it had to be said.)

I would gladly get on that scale, as long as my luggage was on it WITH me, so I could pretend that the luggage was filled with the Encyclopedia Brittanica, while I, myself, must weigh next to nothing! And I do like the idea that the final ticket price might be based on the total weight I was taking onto the plane, including me. After all, the airlines are so nitpicky about a suitcase that weighs one kilo over the limit, whether that suitcase Is traveling with a 50 kilo person or a 150 kilo person --

I just love fairy tales.

It wasn't women who complained to that airline, it was obese people, mostly men

The idea of no carry on of any type is never going to work, I'm not going to fly your airplane if I can't carry my small expensive personal electronics with me, in addition to simply flight comfort items, as well as personal items like jewelry, cash, wallet, etc. We carry on the plane with us things we want/need during the flight and things we don't want to risk getting stolen from our luggage. The idea of luggage going on a separate plane means that the people at the airports have more time with our bags to take whatever they like, how do the airlines address that?

Bob and Margaret, ep Stranded in Toronto

Ariline clerk - "So it's a good news/ bad news situation: we can't get you to New York for a couple of days, the good news is your luggage is already there"

Back