Is Palermo Very Noisy?

Gringoboy

Registered
I don't live there so wouldn't know, but according to this article in LN, it's a nightmare for some.
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1849553-palermo-no-duerme-los-vecinos-se-quejan-de-los-boliches-ruidosos

Yes, some exceptions obviously, probably fairly quiet north of Alcorta but my impression is that it is. I had a friend who had a house in soho and in the back yard you could hear the noise from the bars all night long.

It depends so much where exactly you live. If you live in a quiet street in Palermo Hollywood, the only thing you hear are the birds in the morning; if you live on a busy street with a lot of buses, prepare your bottle of red wine to get some sleep... Another major issue here is that the buildings are often constructed in a way where sound isolation never made the requirements list.

I live in a very solid building on Sante Fe near Scalabrini Ortiz; Sunday am is the only day time it is very quiet, most noise coming from the buses which now go both up and down the street. That being said, I live in a contrafrente and I love the accessibillty of where I live, I have it almost all there; many days I don't have to leave within a 100-200m from my place!

We live in Palermo Viejo on a cobble stone 1 way street. Mostly very quiet.
Nancy

I have not found any locations within the city that I find quiet. There is always the presence of excessively loud (muffler-less or deliberately made to sound like it) cars/motorcycles, parties that stretch well into the next morning, musician neighbours having regular jam sessions, drunken singing in the street at 4am, fireworks at all hours, cars blasting music, peeling tires... it's always something.
I don't live in Palermo, but I've had occasions when I spent time in one of the clubs; looking out of the window at the nearby residences I always wondered about the training one must have to go through to become desensitized to that level of constant noise.
My area (Villa del Parque) is not known to be noisy, but it's noisy.

I'm not sure what the definition of noisy really is. If city noise is noisy then Palermo is noisy. If neighbors playing loud music (and other neighborly noises) at ungodly hours is noisy than yes Palermo is noisy. However you can get very lucky and find apartments that have minimal street and neighbor noise. Usually, apartments in the back of the buildings are less noisy.

Fortunately and miraculously I found an apartment in a three story building that really isn't noisy at all. It is a new building and we live on the second floor in the back of the building. We don't have any neighbors above or below us. And the building next door is only one floor so we have no side noise. We have said hundreds of prayers to curse the apartments above and below us so we never get neighbors. It's worked for six months and counting.

However we do have birds chirping and dogs do bark. Anyways, long post just to say, yes Palermo is noisy you can get lucky,but a city is a city. We live on the boarder of Palermo and Belgrano near Cabildo.

Avenues stink.

I live on Figueroa Alcorta near Malba and yes it's noisy. Two bus lines, ambulances going to Hospital Rivadavia and Bomberos daily. Barrabravas with custody when they play in River. Aeroparque noise in the back... Trains.. Racing cars on weekends. Fortunately, Barrio Parque is nearby - feels like being transported into another life.

I am saving up to have my windows changed. I cannot watch TV with the windows open. You get used to it, but it takes time.

Being on a high floor and contra-frente normally helps. Having lots of room space away from large street-facing windows help.
Living in a building with well off older people should help. (Sorry for that generalization and for stating the obvious.) If all
else fails, white noise such as a strong fan might help.

Back