Is Romance dead in Buenos Aires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in Iquitos Peru recently a city in the middle of the jungle. Men and woman of the middle and upple classes were better groomed than Buenos Aires. Woman in particular took great pride in their appearance and clothing

Thats a bit of exaggeration.

Ceviche I based my comments on facts by studies. Now of course if you live in Palermo Nuevo people are slimmer but in the provinces there is many obese people. Based on the second study 29.3 of Argentinians are clinically obese the highest in Latin America

https://www.thebubble.com/fao-repor...obese-men-in-latin-america-and-the-caribbean/

https://www.therichest.com/rich-list/rich-countries/5-of-the-worlds-most-overweight-countries/

Last edited:
We try to make up for that but then - who wants to see a couple in their sixties kissing on the street? Ewwww.

Really you find old fashioned love repulsive? I prefer seeing this than ripped clothing passing for style and entitled people blocking the sidewalks

I have been in Argentina since 2004 and have noticed huge social changes in just 14 years . When I came I noticed it was a very romantic city with passionate couples kissing openly on the streets and park benches . This was a very common sight . Now in 2018 there seems to be very little romance in Buenos Aires and the roles of men and woman seem to have changed dramatically In 2004 men were quite masculine with long hair , facial hair, and a more aloof onda . Woman were more feminine with more self respect for their bodies and very well dressed compared to 2018 ( there was certainly more anorexia as well back then) Nowadays the youth seem to be very overweight and boys and girls seem to look similar . Something drastic has happened to the food supply as men and womans body shape has been transformed for the worse. In Starbucks when I look at the students inside they seem very unhealthy and I hardly see one young couple making out . It seems that the pick up culture of quick sex is huge here judging by the lack of couples on the street who are in love with each other .

I love to hear others expats opinions on this interesting subject

It’s the cycle of humans. Who wants wants to be like their parents? That was almost 15 years ago. Culture changes are normal.

Honestly I think with the intense amount of stress and worries most argentines have about what’s going on with the economy, it puts a damper on romance and just general buena ‘onda’
Romance is not a monetary thing as young people never had much money ever. Its a cultural phenonomen that has changed dramatically with the rise of the me too movement ni una menos etc etc. The youth of Argentina are not forming relationships I see this clearly with my own eyes. Yes they hook up for one night stands but passion and romance seems completely absent now in Buenos Aires.

Last edited:
You gotta love it when a bunch of old men tell us how women think, should think, and are doing it wrong...
Oh- wasnt I commenting on the kavanaugh hearings? Oops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back