Is there a country in South America with a larger us Expat presence than Argentina?

Got it! (I was beginning to worry that when I lined up with all the Venezuelans and Paraguayans at Migraciones that either I was a migrant or they were expats too and that, whichever way it was, we were all the same. But now I see that it is not the case.)

In my mind an expat is there temporarily.

I'm here working for an extended period with no intention to set permanent roots. I'm an expat.

If you search Google Images for immigrants, you get photos of brown people. If you search Google for expats, you get photos of (mostly) white people. I'm an immigrant as much as I'm an expat.

In my mind an expat is there temporarily.

I'm here working for an extended period with no intention to set permanent roots. I'm an expat.

Yes being an expat was my plan.....12 years later and I'm still bloody here. To be honest despite the many negatives of living here - the summer heat being amongst them - I'm beginning to think I'll probably see out my days in this crazy country. The hassle of selling and packing everything up to move back to the auld country is not really something I relish doing....especially as we have 11 dogs 1 cat and a tortoise. Regulat visits back to the UK and Europe just to keep me sane would seem a better idea.

To be honest despite the many negatives of living here - the summer heat being amongst them -
To be honest despite the "few" negatives of living here - the "winters" being amongst them -

The positives of living here, climate-wise: the long beautiful springs and falls, the sweet sunny winter days, warm enough to have lunch outdoors, the deep blue of the summer sky.
All it needs to be perfect is a couple of snowstorms a year.

After Washington's horrendous climate, this feels like Paradise.

Back