Is There A Kelley Blue Book Equivelant Here?

Toyota Argentina.

Toyota plan to invest US$800m dollars in Argentina and increase production by 50%
Japanese car maker Toyota Motor Corp. plans to invest 800 million dollars to boost production capacity at a factory in the province of Buenos Aires. The plan unveiled by Argentine Industry Minister Debora Giorgi will almost double the size of the factory and allows to increase vehicle output to 140,000 units a year from 92,000 currently.

http://en.mercopress.com/2013/09/20/toyota-plan-to-invest-800m-dollars-in-argentina-and-increase-production-by-50

Hybrid, What hybrids are manufactured in Argentina?

Wow, thanks so much for all the insight, guys! Those links are pefect, thanks so much! That PDF is exactly what I was looking for. :D

Very good points about finding spare parts. I've been a Honda Civic enthusiast for some time because you can find them in any wrecking yard across the US and the earlier generations (especially 4th) have tons of interchangeable parts across the make's various models. I've been looking at Fiat Uno Fires because they don't seem to have changed much over the years, so I should be able to keep one in very good condition for many years. They also seem fairly affordable (and remind me a lot of my 91 Civic Wagon back home haha).

Oh, one thing that came up over the past week; I heard talk about some kind of dealership loan that's common here but makes no sense to me. Sounded pretty scammy, actually. The way I understand it, is that you put in your down payment for a new car and then make one year's worth of payments, but you only actually receive the car after that entire year. So, you don't get the car you test drove, and you have to pay a whole year (plus the down payment) up front. I don't see what the benefit is, and it's such an alien concept to me.

Thanks again, you guys are rad!

Oh, one thing that came up over the past week; I heard talk about some kind of dealership loan that's common here but makes no sense to me. Sounded pretty scammy, actually. The way I understand it, is that you put in your down payment for a new car and then make one year's worth of payments, but you only actually receive the car after that entire year. So, you don't get the car you test drove, and you have to pay a whole year (plus the down payment) up front. I don't see what the benefit is, and it's such an alien concept to me.

Yeah, I've written about that here before. We kept getting offers from Ford to buy a 0km car so we went to see what it was all about. I spent an hour grilling the guy about how this stuff worked - but of course that was some two years ago or so and I can't remember much of the details anymore.

First, there is actual financing available, but at a horribly high rate of interest (near 25-30% if I recall) with 50% of the price down. Plus it's very difficult to get. So forget that.

The other way is basically, it's a lay-away system with a lottery that doesn't guarantee price for the owner. You figure out what you want, how much you want to put down (if anything) and then you figure out how long you want to make payments on the car. You have to pay for a certain amount of the car before you can receive delivery (I cant' remember what the percentage is), which is where the year of waiting usually comes in. However, during that time, there are draws for people to get their cars earlier, like a lottery. The more you pay in a month, the more chance you have of winning the lottery.

Biggest problem in all of this is that the price of the car IS NOT SET. You don't know how much the car is going to cost you until you make the last payment. I can remember so vividly the salesman I was talking to being so proud of the fact that the car I was looking at had only gone up $12,000 in price over two years. That was about a 5% increase per year.

Until you've made your last payment you don't know how much the car costs.

I may have slipped on one or two of the details over my detailed post of my experience I wrote about back then, but the gist of it is - it ain't worth it.

Ah, thanks for answering, Queso! I probably should have searched a bit harder for existing posts on that, but didn't know what the name of that loan/layaway plan was so I must have missed it. Thanks for the info!!

Man, that does definitely sound scammy. Thanks so much for the heads up.

Y'all been super helpful, thanks so much!

A worthy car to consider is the Renault Clio. Built in Argentina , no problem with parts , and every mechanic can work on them. They hold their value well , and new are somewhere around 65,000 pesos. We had one for 8 years with no problems , and bought a 0km Ford Fiesta last year.

Drove that beloved Clio all over the country. It would hit 130 kph downhill with a tailwind ! Excellent fuel economy too.

Good luck.

Back