Is there any way to decline Medicare Pt. B?

Gringo80

Registered
I was just notified that I'm now enrolled in U.S. Medicare Pt B at a cost of $7200. I don't forsee ever using this coverage but it seems that there is no way to get out of it unless I'm working for a U.S. corporation and meet several other criteria.
Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Sounds like another ripoff of seniors. Deny the coverage and then don't pay if you are billed for it.

I was just notified that I'm now enrolled in U.S. Medicare Pt B at a cost of $7200. I don't forsee ever using this coverage but it seems that there is no way to get out of it unless I'm working for a U.S. corporation and meet several other criteria........It is remarkable that everything you said....is wrong. How do you 'fall into enrollment' unknowingly??????? You can disenroll by MAIL(the only way)....send SocSec a letter,...check the website for the 'how to'. The rest you said is gobbledegook. But before you drop it....know where you are going to live if outside the U.S. and check carefully how difficult medical coverage is in the world. (especially if you have a place to come to or go in the U.S. if you are sick)

Yesterday I got an email notice from SSA that my statement was available so I looked at it. I was shocked to see that I was enrolled in Part B at a cost of $560 per month. I have never knowlingly enrolled in Part B and have no idea how this happened. One guess: We recently spoke to SSA (after holding for 3 hours) about adding my wife to my account. The representative may have pushed a wrong button.

I searched Medicare.gov but could not find any way to dis-enroll online (there is none).

So I did this Yahoo search: can I decline Part B medicare?

And got this answer:
How do I disenroll from Medicare Part B?
You can disenroll from Part A or Part B if you or your spouse go back to work past 65. If the employer has over 20 employees, and you are on their group health plan, you can delay Medicare. You can contact Social Security to disenroll and you need to fill out a CMS-1763 form
Fortunately I posted here about my problem and got responses that sent me back to do further investigation. It now seems that I can disenroll by filling out their form and calling SSA.

I want to thank the expats that were quick, and polite with their helpful responses. Those that were quick and impolite should check their medications.

Yesterday I got an email notice from SSA that my statement was available so I looked at it. I was shocked to see that I was enrolled in Part B at a cost of $560 per month. I have never knowlingly enrolled in Part B and have no idea how this happened. One guess: We recently spoke to SSA (after holding for 3 hours) about adding my wife to my account. The representative may have pushed a wrong button.

I searched Medicare.gov but could not find any way to dis-enroll online (there is none).

So I did this Yahoo search: can I decline Part B medicare?

And got this answer:
How do I disenroll from Medicare Part B?
You can disenroll from Part A or Part B if you or your spouse go back to work past 65. If the employer has over 20 employees, and you are on their group health plan, you can delay Medicare. You can contact Social Security to disenroll and you need to fill out a CMS-1763 form
Fortunately I posted here about my problem and got responses that sent me back to do further investigation. It now seems that I can disenroll by filling out their form and calling SSA.

I want to thank the expats that were quick, and polite with their helpful responses. Those that were quick and impolite should check their medications.

Hi, I am 5 months out from turning 65 and live in Argentina with no intention of living in the USA again. I have health insurance through my Argentine wife's work and don't feel like I need Medicare plan B but the cost that I have seen in my research says Medicare Plan B is $174 per month (my income is $0) with a $240 deductible. That totals $2,328 per year. I don't mind paying that as a safety measure for the month or 2 a year that I am in the States. I am curious why your plan B was $560 per month and would you have gone for it at $174 per? Please add any other thoughts that I should be thinking about if you are kind enough to dive into my questions. Thanks

Medicare premiums are not all the same. The amount is based on how many quarters you worked during your working career. If, like me, you were self employed for much of your life, your premiums may be higher than someone who was an employee for their entire life. Its complicated.

https://www.medicareinteractive.org/ is a great site. The following is from the web site. I am retired and have chosen to live on my savings until my full retirement age in 2.5 years. I think if one makes less than 105K a year then they are entitled to the 75% - 25% split outlined below.
  • Part B helps pay for your doctors’ services and outpatient care. It also covers other medical services, such as physical and occupational therapy, and some home health care. For most beneficiaries, the government pays a substantial portion — about 75% — of the Part B premium, and the beneficiary pays the remaining 25%.
    If we determine you’re a higher-income beneficiary, you’ll pay a larger percentage of the total cost of Part B based on the income you normally report to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). You’ll pay monthly Part B premiums equal to 35%, 50%, 65%, 80%, or 85% of the total cost, depending on what you report to the IRS.

Back