Is This Offer Good Enough For Our Family To Ba?

Edit: I get paid a decently good amount of money to write clear, concise, efficient code for companies - maybe BA Expats would like to make me an offer to clean up my long-winded prose? (hehe, j/k)

I understand.

I also get paid buckets full to write clear/concise/crisp 'to the point' reports in my field of work. But i carry on the good work, for free here.

Hello everyone,

Thank you in advance for any help regarding my question. We are a family of four (husband, wife and 2 kids 5 & 8) currently living in Atlanta, GA. My husband recently got an offer to transfer to BA, the offer is around $240,000 US dollars , about 50% is US dollars and the other 50% in Pesos (compensation in pesos will be re-evaluated & adjusted quarterly for inflation). Because we have no idea about the cost of living in BA, I would really appreciate it if you anyone could give us a realistic view of what to expect in terms of living expenses:

1. Private English speaking schools
2. Cost of lodging: what neighberhood do you recommend that would be ideal for school and work location (My husband's office would be in Palermo), and what would be a realistic budget to allocate
3. Cost of owning a car
4. Cost for domestic help

Thank you so much again for your input.

Mayas

Is that an annual salary? I assume the company is paying you half in USD in the US and then the other half will be paid in pesos at the official exchange rate here. Before answering your specific questions, I advise you to sit down with an accountant and figure out exactly how you're going to handle taxes. Foreign earned income exemption is only good for the first 90K USD in salary. After that, you are liable for taxes. And there is no tax treaty btwn Arg and the US. So you need to factor that in.

1) Lincoln School is the only school I know that follows the US calendar. And it's expensive. Annual tuition is about 25K USD per child in grade school. Plus a one time enrollment fee of 10K for each child. So factor in 50K in costs if you choose to go to that school for your 2 kids. It may be worth it if you want to keep your child on the US schedule. Otherwise, plenty of bilingual schools that will be much less. Probably safe to estimate around 10K a month IN PESOS (so less than 1K USD) per child for school.

2) There are 2 very different price structures. Will you be renting a furnished apt? If so, the leases are 6 months at a time (but renewable) and I would estimate spending around 3-4K USD a month. Now if the company will be acting as guarantina - you can rent something for much less. You will need to purchase furniture which is expensive (and limited options). My recommendation is at least for the first 6 months, rent a furnished place. As for location, I love the Belgrano/Las Canitas area. It will be an easy commute for your husband and it's a little more relaxing than living in Palermo.

3) A nice (not luxury) car will run you around 250,000 pesos to buy. Insurance will be probably around 1000 pesos a month. Gas - figure btwn 600-800 pesos to fill up your tank (depending on size of car, what fuel).

4) Household help - a cleaning lady/nanny (non specialized) f/t (40 to 48 hours a week) will cost about 5000 pesos a month.

That salary is more than enough to have a very nice life BUT I would want to make 100% sure you/your husband understand the tax implications as that may change things greatly.

Surely, a family living in the U.S. couldn't possibly survive on a US$240.000.00 a year salary. I can only imagine what the price of caviar and a butler's salary are these days.

How can anyone worry about the cost of maintaining a car? Sorry, I should have known better, as i never owned a Rolls Royce.

Are you sure that the salary is US$240.000 and not $240.000? There is a HUGE difference !

I would recommend at least one of you coming down for a week to get an idea of the neighborhoods, visit the schools, and see for yourself. That way you'll have a plan before you get here.

Surely, a family living in the U.S. couldn't possibly survive on a US$240.000.00 a year salary. I can only imagine what the price of caviar and a butler's salary are these days.

How can anyone worry about the cost of maintaining a car? Sorry, I should have known better, as i never owned a Rolls Royce.

Are you sure that the salary is US$240.000 and not $240.000? There is a HUGE difference !

240K before taxes for a family of 4 isn't exactly a champagne and caviar kind of salary, esp in Atlanta. ETA - not that it's any of my business but no need to cast aspersions on the OP.

Someone offered me a million dollars a year to work in BsAs, can you tell me if that's enough ? What's the cost of a double cheeseburger, Dodge Caravan and a full body massage ? :)

You won't be making enough.

Example: Lincoln School Tuition fees [in PESOS] http://www.lincolnschool.org/page.cfm?p=2587

240K before taxes for a family of 4 isn't exactly a champagne and caviar kind of salary, esp in Atlanta. ETA - not that it's any of my business but no need to cast aspersions on the OP.

Well said city girl.

Feel as if its a case of sour grapes for some 'losers in life' here.

Back