Is this realistic?

Fishmanfun

Registered
I'm sorry and I know this is wrong forum too ! Can someone please tell me if this is realistic ? Can I fly in with one Golden Retriever and expect to take a nap ! Wake up walk around Palermo , have dinner or whatever with my lady friend from Buenos Aires . Wake up and buy and leave with a car > Go back to hotel sleep and wake up to two other Golden's coming through EZE from USA and just drive away to stay in Santa Rosa and then onto Neuquen City stay and onto San Martin de los Andes with no problems ??? I could just rent a Van and not worry about buying the car until later after I get settled in ! My ears need to be burning ! Please just tell me THE TRUTH ? Thank you Kevin ! Love you God ! Kev

No, it is not realistic, even if you don't take any naps, skip the walk, and go without dinner.

Just rent the van.
Thank you Steve , do you know if I can even buy a car with a US Passport, International Driver's License and drive it away legally on a tourist VISA ?
Do I need a DNI to buy a car ?
Thanks again , Kevin

Thank you Steve , do you know if I can even buy a car with a US Passport, International Driver's License and drive it away legally on a tourist VISA ?
Do I need a DNI to buy a car ?
Thanks again , Kevin
Yes, you can buy a car with a US Passport, International Driver's License, but you can't just "drive it away" the same day like you can in the USA.

Just flying in, clearing customs with one dog, and then returning to (or waiting at) the airport for the other two dogs and getting them to a hotel sounds like more than enough work for one day.

Even if you could find a car you wanted to buy on the second day, there's too much paperwork that would be required for you to leave that same day.

I'm not sure how long it will take, but you don't want to drive any vehicle without the proper credentials (rental contract or registration card).

Getting a rental contract will only take a few minutes. Getting the registration card will (probably) take (at the least) a number of days.

And if you buy a car in CF and a're going to be living in a different province than the vehicle is registered, there would be additional paperwork.

So, as I previously suggested, just rent the van.

And don't drive at night!

PS: If you buy a vehicle in CF you would also have to get insurance and if you have a mechanical problem en route you will be on your own.

If you rent a van (from a reputable, nationwide company) and have a mechanical breakdown, you should be able to get assistance and continue your trip without the nightmare of trying to find a mechanic and having to wait for the repairs to be completed.

Last edited:
Agree Rent a Van a drive happily into the horizon..! (You know Rule 57 of US Codes to Travel with Pets)

Caution! In Argentina roads the next Gas Station may be 200 kms away..!! ( like driving towards Mendoza on Ruta 7, after San Luis). And the next station may be out of gas..! When your tank goes to 1/2 full stop at the next station..!

(Rent only a vehicle Gas driven , no Diesel or LPG)

Anecdote : When you cross the border coming from Chile @ PAso Libertadores you enter Argentina go, through Immigrations and Customs and the first Gas station is a single small Gilbarco Gas Pump Circa 1950, that is owned by a Kiosk ..! I has happened that the Gas Supply Truck hasn't made it uphill the Andes yet because of the icy road conditions, so no Gas.
Or there is a Power blackout .. no Gas Pump...!
Some majors like Shell or YPF or Petrobras on the road, may be out of Gas, but have Diesel and LPG.

Last edited:
I'm sorry for all the questions . If I have a relative in Argentina that will use their DNI to by a car, and then in turn get Two Blue Cards , one for them and one for me . Will this make this process more transparent ?

I'm sorry for all the questions . If I have a relative in Argentina that will use their DNI to by a car, and then in turn get Two Blue Cards , one for them and one for me . Will this make this process more transparent ?

An Argentine citizen buys a new car and gets a Blue Card for a tourist? No problem there..! IMO

Back