Is this realistic?

When the buyer drives out of the dealership , normally he has purchased insurance coverage there or elsewhere in advance, can't drive away without coverage..!
To purchase insurance from another Broker for a car not purchased yet? must contact the insurance broker..!

When the buyer drives out of the dealership , normally he has purchased insurance coverage there or elsewhere in advance, can't drive away without coverage..!
To purchase insurance from another Broker for a car not purchased yet? must contact the insurance broker..!
Would my relatives have to purchase the insurance ahead of time since they will use their DNI to buy the car ? This only makes sense to me ! I'm finding that some things that make sense to me are irrelevant in Argentina ! Oh well --it's an exploration !

To insure a car the buyer/owner needs to provide make, year, mileage, chassis , motor number etc. plus the broker must be able to take pics of the vehicle. The owner/buyer must deal with the insurance broker directly. Your Argentinian relatives for sure knows exactly what to do

Argentina is a wonderful place- but it does not work like other places. Some things are better, some worse- but buying cars, or real estate, is very complicated, slow, and crazy.
On the other hand, the first night you are here, you can easily get a kilo of ice cream delivered to your hotel at 2 AM.

Argentina is a wonderful place- but it does not work like other places. Some things are better, some worse- but buying cars, or real estate, is very complicated, slow, and crazy.
On the other hand, the first night you are here, you can easily get a kilo of ice cream delivered to your hotel at 2 AM.
It's OK , I was there for a couple weeks in October ! Palermo, Recoletta, Puerto Maduro, San Martin de los Andes and Bariloche skiing ! It was beautiful ! Two Winter's in a row in a new World will be challenging ! It's an Exploration for me ! I plan to cruise ! Right now it's NASCAR qualifying for Daytona ! Don't let that label me , I turned off Two and Half Men for this ! Love Kev

If I have a relative in Argentina that will use their DNI to by a car, and then in turn get Two Blue Cards , one for them and one for me . Will this make this process more transparent ?

As I previously wrote, I don't know if any law that prohibits you from buying the car using your passport.

If your relative uses their DNI to buy a vehicle, I believe it will have to be registered in their name. If that's the case, as the legal owner, they will have to get the insurance and if the vehicle exceeds a certain value, they will have to declare (to AFIP) the source of the funds they used to make the purchase. I believe they will also bear the ultimate liability for the actions of any other drivers as well as responsibility for any infractions, including moving violations like speeding.

If you are providing the funds, they can probably declare tha you are thee source, but that doesn't seems as transparent (at least to me) as you buying the car in your own name, using your own funds, unless you want your relatives to keep the car when you leave Argentina (and avoid additional cost and paperwork at that point).

In either case, the person whose name the car is registered will get a green card which, as far as I know, does not expire. Anyone else driving the car will need a blue card. I think they have to be renewed, but I'm not sure of the frequency or if a tourist without an Argentine driver's licence can get one.

Keep in mind that if you buy a vehicle in your name (and perhaps in the name of your relative) that you may only have 90 days to "legally" drive in Argentina with a tourist permit. As you indicate you plan to stay in Argentina for two years, is it safe to assume that you will be applying for temporary residency? I ask because temporary residency is required to get an Argentine driver's license and, perhaps most importantly, having an Argentine driver's license may be essential for insurance coverage to be valid after you've been in the country for more than 90 days.

The last thing you want to do is to give the insurance company a reason do deny a claim on a technicality.

As I previously wrote, I don't know if any law that prohibits you from buying the car using your passport.

If your relative uses their DNI to buy a vehicle, I believe it will have to be registered in their name. If that's the case, as the legal owner, they will have to get the insurance and if the vehicle exceeds a certain value, they will have to declare (to AFIP) the source of the funds they used to make the purchase. I believe they will also bear the ultimate liability for the actions of any other drivers as well as responsibility for any infractions, including moving violations like speeding.

If you are providing the funds, they can probably declare tha you are thee source, but that doesn't seems as transparent (at least to me) as you buying the car in your own name, using your own funds, unless you want your relatives to keep the car when you leave Argentina (and avoid additional cost and paperwork at that point).

In either case, the person whose name the car is registered will get a green card which, as far as I know, does not expire. Anyone else driving the car will need a blue card. I think they have to be renewed, but I'm not sure of the frequency or if a tourist without an Argentine driver's licence can get one.

Keep in mind that if you buy a vehicle in your name (and perhaps in the name of your relative) that you may only have 90 days to "legally" drive in Argentina with a tourist permit. As you indicate you plan to stay in Argentina for two years, is it safe to assume that you will be applying for temporary residency? I ask because temporary residency is required to get an Argentine driver's license and, perhaps most importantly, having an Argentine driver's license may be essential for insurance coverage to be valid after you've been in the country for more than 90 days.

The last thing you want to do is to give the insurance company a reason do deny a claim on a technicality.
Thank you Steve ! Please
Text me ! It NASCAR Qualifying night in Daytona ! Kev

• Kev,
  • Your best bet is to have your relative in BA phone a car dealership listed below, to get up up-to-date info on the regulations and options, in a few of minutes. ..! Options like Leasing, buying by a tourist , buying by a citizen, etc. License requirements . (A few years ago to obtain Argentine drivers license required Permanent Residence)

• www: carone.com.ar
  • www: grupoDietrich.com
PS: A few years ago a major Argentine insurance outfit was not able to insure my car . When we got to the point of inserting my passport digits on the screen, she said sorry can't do it..! Doesn't fit the format..!

Last edited:
Back