Is Western Union asking non-residents for a CDI now?

I recently posted the current legislation regarding income tax on another thread. The law seems to state fairly clearly that a foreigner only becomes eligible for income tax (i.e., only becomes a tax resident in Argentina) twelve months after he or she has been granted (by Migraciones) temporary residency. Posts on this thread seem to be assuming that a foreigner will become a tax resident simply by virtue of having been in the country for twelve months, which is almost always quite different to having held a Migraciones temporary residency for twelve months. I see nothing in the law to suggest that AFIP can come after anyone until he or she has completed twelve months of temporary residency. That's my reading of the law. Does anybody see it differently or know of cases where people without a minimum of twelve months Migraciones temporary residency were pursued and asked to pay tax?

why not comply with the host countries request that you amend your visa to reflect your status.....no need to ''game'' a receptive host.....legal compliance is encouraged and affordable......the pandemic has created some wrinkles, but again, as long as you are attempting to comply, they will not go out of their way to make your life a living hell...... ( as we are prone to in the states ).....if your reluctance is based on the fear of being treated as we treat immigrants in the US, rest assured.......Argentina is a more welcoming country.....hopefully that will change for the better in the states now.

Hey folks, got an update. For those who don't know, i'm the original poster who had the issue with the CDI. I went to the large WU office on La Pampa in Belgrano today and picked up 50.000 without issue. Who knows if it'll get asked for again! In the mean time, i'm going back to get vaccinated so won't have any more updates for a month or two. Will update if i get asked for a CDI again while withdrawing money when i return to Argentina.

I think this request to show CDI may be triggered by something else. For example, when you send money you are supposed to specify origin of funds. If you say "earnings" that means that the money are potentially taxable (hence CDI request) , and if you say "savings" then they were probably taxed before.

I think this request to show CDI may be triggered by something else. For example, when you send money you are supposed to specify origin of funds. If you say "earnings" that means that the money are potentially taxable (hence CDI request) , and if you say "savings" then they were probably taxed before.
Without exception, every time I have sent funds to myself via Western Union in the past 14 months, there is only one option for the origin of funds and that is "family assistance" and I know that was also the origin of the funds my sister-in-law gave when she made several transfers in late 2019 and early 2020.

I picked up 60k today with just my passport, there was no request for a CDI etc.

Back