Israel summons Argentina's ambassador over anti-Israel UNHRC vote

Yeah, but what on earth is Argentina doing voting on something like this, other than to appease some goofy fringe? It's just some stupid political theater ordered by China and Russia or, worse, not even ordered or done for opportunistic reasons, but expected in the crew currently running the country.

Gotta kiss up to your new sugar daddies. Maybe you'll get some vacines or a railroad out of it.

I have mixed reactions to this. Argentina's vote was morally correct, in my opinion, but supporting the Zionists would have been more advantageous in a purely pragmatic sense. Especially if that support could have been leveraged into some material support with the IMF, for example. Being a friend to Israel can be profitable, and being an enemy to Israel can be damn dangerous.

Gotta kiss up to your new sugar daddies. Maybe you'll get some vacines or a railroad out of it.

I know you meant this scornfully, but there is nonetheless truth in it. Argebtina is poor and financially desperate

Last edited:
I have mixed reactions to this. Argentina's vote was morally correct, in my opinion, but supporting the Zionists would have been more advantageous in a purely pragmatic sense. Especially if that support could have been leveraged into some material support with the IMF, for example. Being a friend to Israel can be profitable, and being an enemy to Israel can be damn dangerous.

You are correct, from a pragmatic sense.... when pragmatism perpetuates a morally reprehensible policy, it only gets worse.....as one with a Jewish heritage ( non-practicing) , I grieve the fact that under Netanyahu, Israel has made the transition from being '' the oppressed '' to being '' the oppressor''... this cannot, and should not be ignored or condoned.

I know you meant this scornfully, but there is nonetheless truth in it. Argebtina is poor and financially desperate

It takes two to tango. Argentina also had the option of abstaining like 14 other countries.
(regardless of the fact that tens of thousands of Argentine citizens live in Israel and are affected by hostilities, or the fact that Argentina is or was in discussions with Israel to further its own medical and economic interests.)

What worries me more is Argentina's U-turn on Venezuela and support of the dictatorship and ongoing human rights abuses there and in other countries in its own region. This undoubtedly has more of an impact on Argentines now and in future as well as the tens of thousands of Venezuelas who live in Argentina, most of whom have been negatively impacted by said dictatorship.

This kind of foreign policy further erodes Argentina's trust and credibility on the world stage at a time when the best thing to do for its own state of affairs would be to try and be a friend of everyone and avoid "choosing sides" on issues that do not directly affect it.
But we all know populism (like dictatorships or single-party regimes) anywhere in the world needs enemies more than it needs friends to survive, even if it's just an enemy you putear rather than punch in the face. Viva the (insert cause here) !

Back