Italian citizenship for baby born in Argentina to Italian/Argentinian mother

Fiscal

Registered
How long does it take to get a newborn Italian citizenship through his mother? The Italian consulate told me it could take a year, but I'm not sure if I was speaking to the right person and.... I thought it would be near-automatic if it's a newborn baby and you register his birth certificate.

Perhaps the time quoted is what it takes for the consulate and the comune to communicate, transcribe and notify the applicant (with the child being an Italian citizen all along/since birth). It seems like a very long time.
I have not done it personally, perhaps someone can chime in. My understanding of the process is that the Italian citizen parent (previously registered in AIRE at the corresponding consulate) reports all relevant life events (i.e. birth of a child) to the AIRE via a consulate corresponding to his/her place of residence (or if living in Italy directly at the comune), by presenting the birth certificate apostiled and translated to Italian (only exception to apostile+translation is if the birth was recorded in the country signatory to the Vienna Convention, Argentina not being one of these). The transcription of the information received in the consulate is then done at the comune in Italy, and then the comune forwards the confirmation of transcription to the consulate and the Italian citizen parent is notified. At this time you may request a plurilingue IT birth certificate directly form the comune in IT.

There are Italian-Argentine forums where you will find answers to these questions, with estimated times, etc.

This is the consulate in SF.

If you already have been granted Italian citizenship, follow the instructions posted on the Vital Records (Stato Civile) page of our website to register the births of any of your children under 18 years old. They will receive their Italian citizenship and AIRE registration automatically with their birth registration:

Back