It's always an inside job

jantango

Registered
I didn't follow my own advice yesterday: never open your door unless you know the person on the other side. I got a big surprise from a stranger who roughed me up and got only 1500 pesos from me. I opened a bank account recently and transferred $500. Usually, I would have that amount in cash from a XOOM transfer. It was the longest ten minutes of my life. I remained calm. I managed to let out a scream once, but the building was quiet and empty at 12:30pm. If anyone heard me, they didn't investigate. He took my notebook which is old and worth more to me than he could get on the street. I said, that's my life, and he put it back on the desk before leaving. What a relief!

It didn't take me long to figure out this was an inside job. We have tenants from hell for the past year. The police have been called three times for domestic violence. They can't pay the rent, the expenses, electricity, or gas. Edesur turned off their service a week ago. They are living in another place and leave their two boxers inside the apartment. They bark more often recently. The apartment is in front of mind, so I hear everything. I figure that Pablo (28) gave the keys to a friend to do the job and rob me, thinking I probably had lots of cash at home since I'm an American. Later I sent Pablo an email detailing what his friend had done to me and how much he stole. I told him I was going to the police to make a report. I even sent photos of the physical evidence from the encounter. The guy most have been high because he was relentless in his physical abuse when I was willing to give him all the money I had. His fingerprints are on my door as evidence.

Another lesson relearned for me. ANY FOREIGNER IN A CITY APARTMENT BUILDING WITHOUT 24 HOUR SECURITY GUARD NEEDS TO BE VERY CAUTIOUS. You don't want to face a tall stranger with a weapon at your door who is violent. It was a nightmare that I want to forget. The intruder could be Pablo's brother. They are the same height, age, and build. This was an inside job and meticulously planned. I've kept the apartment owner informed of every incident during 14 months. The woman claimed there would be a couple with baby and no dogs living in the apartment. It didn't take long to see there were three children (ages 1-14) and two boxers. They are the worst neighbors in 16 years. We have to wait until their contract is up in November.

Wow, glad you are safe. What neighborhood do you live in? It sounds like hell.

If you do go to the police please update us with what actions the police take. My guess is none.

I am so sorry to hear about your experience. I hope your neighbors move out sooner than November! If you learn anything more, please keep us posted.

Actually, as I’m thinking more about this, it really sounds like you’re NOT okay, living with neighbors that you suspect were responsible for hurting, robbing and terrorizing you. Do you have any options short of just waiting out their contract? At the very least, I hope you have some help in recovering from your physical and emotional injuries.

I guess you learned an important lesson about opening the door to strangers. Thankfully you are fine. I know someone who had their house robbed recently - thankfully they were not home at the time. Be aware of your surroundings - this is not the safest place in the world.

Sorry. Who is Pablo?
I never give my keys to anyone in the building. NEVER. I don't even open the door for the man who calls himself the exterminator. If I don't recognize the voice the door stays locked.

Sorry to hear..! about your traumatic experience
A word of caution one should always, make sure to choose a place with 24 hr. -security.

Sorry to hear that you went through that experience, and glad that you are ok.

Sorry to hear..! about your traumatic experience
A word of caution one should always, make sure to choose a place with 24 hr. -security.

thats a very sound advice..And though buildings like these have high expenses..you ultimately recover them by being safe. Especially building with 2/3 guards 24/7 nd managed by a 3rd party admin

Back