It's always an inside job

I am very sorry to hear about this unfortunate occurance, Jantango. If I can help in any way, PM me.

@jantango I'm very upset to hear this but encouraged by how strong you've always been and I've confidence in your seeing this all the way through.

@sergio I think you'll find that "Pablo" not Jan gave keys to the assailant. +++>

@Sockhopper Those remarks read as a tad patronising when addressed to someone who has been on BAExpats twice as long as you have +++>

@sergio & @Sockhopper All that was needed was to show a little sympathy

@jantango I'm very upset to hear this but encouraged by how strong you've always been and I've confidence in your seeing this all the way through.

@sergio I think you'll find that "Pablo" not Jan gave keys to the assailant. +++>

@Sockhopper Those remarks read as a tad patronising when addressed to someone who has been on BAExpats twice as long as you have +++>

@sergio & @Sockhopper All that was needed was to show a little sympathy

Jan, I’m glad you are okay, and hope you take care of yourself in the meantime.

I agree with you, elhombresinnombre, but substituting Sockhopper (who hasn’t commented) with Somewhereinba.

Jan, I’m glad you are okay, and hope you take care of yourself in the meantime.

I agree with you, elhombresinnombre, but substituting Sockhopper (who hasn’t commented) with Somewhereinba.

You are correct, GMXam and I appreciate you pointing this out.

I apologise unreservedly to Sockhopper.

Guess I'm the tactless one now.

Wow, what an ugly experience to have to go through. Thanks for sharing this so we all can be more aware of what can happen when someone knocks on your door. Maybe you should consider the possibility of getting a dog.

We're all so happy you're OK!

I'm sue the incident has left you badly shaken. Hopefully, (speaking from experience) that will fade with time.

Are you going to make a denuncia?

OMG that is so terrible and scary. I am so sorry to hear about what happened to you. But also relieved to hear you are ok.

Hi Jan,... I'm sorry to hear about this. Sounds like a real horror story.
I have pretty wonderful neighbors but I always look through the peep hole if some one knocks my door.
If I don't recognized the person I put on the chain so that the door only opens about 5 inches.
I hate to say this but I have a feeling that the police are not going to do anything.
Does your building have security cameras?.

Thanks for all the kind words. I'm recovering. I didn't sleep very well. My neck, upper body and arms ache. I use an ice pack on my bruised arm to keep the swelling down. I discovered dry blood on my scalp when I touched my hair.

My purpose in posting is to make people, especially newcomers, aware of the reality of living in BsAs. I will complete 20 years on Feb 3. I am living more consciously than ever in my life. One has to be more aware in a big city.

I was robbed on the streets on two occasions years ago. I pickpocket opened my backpack and removed my wallet with very little cash. Two young men on a motorcycle approached me a block from my apartment and asked for all the cash I had which wasn't much. I've learned to carry only what I need. I handed it over without any problem. The latest incident was more than I could have ever imagined.

I know a French woman who opened her apartment door and was attacked by three men waiting for her. She suffered physical and psychological damage from the incident. She was targeted because she has Euros and made the mistake of telling people in a milonga where she lived. It was an inside job.

Last edited:
Hey Jan,

So sorry to hear about your experience. Thanks for sharing it with the community.

Hope you recover soon!

Best Wishes :=)

Back