It's always an inside job

I am sorry that happened to you. Thanks for posting so others can be aware of the precautions they need to take. And like others glad you are OK.

So sorry to hear about this. Only the best moving forward.

In case it has not been mentioned this is something I do in place stay like rentals.

I leave a key from the inside in the keyhole turned halfway if anyone has a key it will then not function and they won't be able to just get it. I did this religiously in URU.

In case it has not been mentioned this is something I do in place stay like rentals.

I leave a key from the inside in the keyhole turned halfway if anyone has a key it will then not function and they won't be able to just get it. I did this religiously in URU.

Something I don't remember seeing in BA doors (but then I haven't actually looked) is the common (in the USA) door viewer or "peep hole." It significantly reduces the probability of opening a door to known or unknown bad people. Installation is simple. Enhancing security further would be the suggestions from Pensador above and D. B. Cooper (door chain).
Door viewer.jpg

Last edited:
The door chain is good if the door is strong and reinforced, otherwise they can kick it in, and the door edge would break in splinters.

The peep hole is good except you only see who is Directly in front of the " peep hole" .. you can't see the man, leaning against the door, that is holding your next door neighbor at gunpoint. Many instances where they robb several apts in the same floor

I had several cases of people lost in the building asking for directions, never opened , one lady claimed she was legally blind, and needed help to read directions.
The worst case was a fist fight in the hallway a man with a knife attacking a couple , the woman starts banging on my door to let her in to escape from the attack...I figured that if I open the door, the fight would continue inside my apartment , so I called the cops ...

What happened was terrible and of course it had to be traumatizing. I am glad that you posted your story. I was pickpocketed on a bus. It was at a time when I was depressed and I let my guard down. The pickpocket was very professional and efficient. I was going to pay bills so I had a fair amount of cash on me -- this was some years ago. Another time someone on a bike whisked my phone out of my hand as I walked down the street. A weird experience to say the least but the police said it was common. I've been a victim of the mustard trick but was wise enough to know what was going on. I have many friends who've been attacked and robbed. Close friends were robbed and tied to chairs in their flat while the thieves took everything they could get into suitcases. Another was the victim of a robbery, Jesse James style, in a restaurant. Lost his wedding ring and his wallet. Another was robbed jogging. The list goes on and on. I will not leave my keys with anyone except a close friend, never to a building employee. I do not answer the door bell if I am not 100% sure who it is. I don't trust the man who says he is the exterminator. I carry only what cash I think I need but enough so as not to anger a thief. I don't really trust taxi drivers especially when trips are to places I am not familiar with.

I do hope you recover soon from this awful experience.
Thank you for sharing it with us.
Take care!

What happened was terrible and of course it had to be traumatizing. I am glad that you posted your story. I was pickpocketed on a bus. It was at a time when I was depressed and I let my guard down. The pickpocket was very professional and efficient. I was going to pay bills so I had a fair amount of cash on me -- this was some years ago. Another time someone on a bike whisked my phone out of my hand as I walked down the street. A weird experience to say the least but the police said it was common. I've been a victim of the mustard trick but was wise enough to know what was going on. I have many friends who've been attacked and robbed. Close friends were robbed and tied to chairs in their flat while the thieves took everything they could get into suitcases. Another was the victim of a robbery, Jesse James style, in a restaurant. Lost his wedding ring and his wallet. Another was robbed jogging. The list goes on and on. I will not leave my keys with anyone except a close friend, never to a building employee. I do not answer the door bell if I am not 100% sure who it is. I don't trust the man who says he is the exterminator. I carry only what cash I think I need but enough so as not to anger a thief. I don't really trust taxi drivers especially when trips are to places I am not familiar with.

As you mention yesterday a restaurant was robbed in the Congreso area, on Rivadavia St. five armed masked robbers went into the resto and stole wallets, cell phones , jewelry, and money from customers it was a piranha operation that lasted a few minutes, no one was caught yet...

Back