It's always an inside job

I feel really lucky I have not experienced any crime except getting pickpocketed in La Boca.

Eh....so should I be paranoid about the electrician, the housekeeper, and anyone else that enters the apartment? Because they will all immediately see I am a gringo with $? Do I also need to be paranoid about going outside? I have the same route every morning to go get coffee and then the panaderia, etc.. and I speak to everyone so they all know I'm a gringo

I’ve had nearly all good experiences in BA save for having my wallet stolen from my backpack my first time on Florida. Of course, it was foolish that I was even wearing a backpack. What bugged me the most is that the street was full of people and I’m sure someone saw it but no one said a word. Even a shout would have helped. In the past 17 years, I’ve walked all over BA at night, left my keys with the doorman, taken trains and subways all over the city. I pay attention and I’m careful and maybe a little lucky so far, but you’ve got to live your life and enjoy the city or else forget it and move elsewhere!

Jan, I’m glad you are okay, and hope you take care of yourself in the meantime.
I agree with you, elhombresinnombre, but substituting Sockhopper (who hasn’t commented) with Somewhereinba.

GMX, It was a shock to read that I'd not been sympathetic about 'jantango' being assaulted and robbed. Thank you greatly for catching and correcting elhombresinnombre's recklessness in attributing to me a lack of warmth towards 'jantango' and what she suffered - when I'd not posted anything to this thread!

Here in France, I am facing loss of my European citizenship, all my human rights pursuant to the European Convention of HR, my British pension and public health care coverage and our access to appeal any decision to the European Court of Justice. All because some 2 million fellow Britons had, like I did, the audacity to actually exercise our guaranteed EU and British-affirmed right of freedom of movement to legally reside in another EU country of our choice rather than in only the one of our citizenship. The thief we're fighting is our own UK government - for 2.5 years so far. Some 2 million Brits are being threatened with this because we were made the primary pawns by the UK's insane political cleansing of all things that stop the UK from being again the 'empire' it was long ago. If we don't stop Brexit, we'll become a weird version - a reverse version - of illegal migrants with no place of legal residency as we awake on March 30! (Every person in the world has to have by law a residency status somewhere.) We must stop this from happening by no later than 11pm on March 29. And not even the Vienna Convention can protect our rights and status as 'acquired' identities that we earned. I'm joined with groups around Europe and in England to save us from this but it's not looking successful......yet. Every few hours the news changes day and night.

As a result, I don't have time to even write my brother in Canada let alone post much on any forums. My nerves are wrecked. I have nightmares of finding myself on the shore in England with everything dear to me left behind in France. I used to love England.

I have noticed, nonetheless, what a great and helpful, hard-working contributor 'jantango' is on this forum. What she suffered is horrible. I'd like to know if she can see through a peephole in her front door who's on its other side before she must decide to open it or not. Can she ask. " Who are you? What do you want?".

I had a landlord and her 2 hired goons break into my holiday apartment in BA back in 2008. I was nearly naked, about to step into the shower. The landlord burst in and demanded $US500 from me right then. If I didn't pay her this 'extra', the 2 men would do anything to me that she ordered them to, she said. (Saying that to somebody undressed amounts to a sexual assault in Canada and in some US states.) That experience became 2 months later my first post ever on a forum. I refused to pay her. I told her she was despicable. I watched those men from a hiding spot - not a good one-go through all my belongings. I feared for my life. I couldn't reach my 'phone because of their presence. I was able to kick her out after refusing to give her money. Being able to say just about the only thing I could pull together in a simple sentence in Spanish was miraculously enough to make the goons suspicious of HER. (Thanks to a beginners' course of 30 lessons in Castellano.) They started to walk towards and then out the door! She followed them yelling at them to obey her, I guessed. I slammed the door shut and locked it - not very effective since she'd entered by using her own key. I was severely traumatized for 4 months. When I returned to my country, for the next 3 months, I'd jump up and run to the bathroom if somebody rung my door, closing each door behind me as I went. My husband had to answer the front door. I did recover over 6 months and returned to BA but I could not walk past her building. I tried but couldn't. .

GMX, It was a shock to read that I'd not been sympathetic about 'jantango' being assaulted and robbed. Thank you greatly for catching and correcting elhombresinnombre's recklessness in attributing to me a lack of warmth towards 'jantango' and what she suffered - when I'd not posted anything to this thread!

I'm glad you've turned up in this thread, Sockhopper. Having already apologised for my mistake here, to the group, I can now apologise directly to you.

Here in France, I am facing loss of my European citizenship, all my human rights pursuant to the European Convention of HR, my British pension and public health care coverage and our access to appeal any decision to the European Court of Justice. All because some 2 million fellow Britons had, like I did, the audacity to actually exercise our guaranteed EU and British-affirmed right of freedom of movement to legally reside in another EU country of our choice rather than in only the one of our citizenship. The thief we're fighting is our own UK government - for 2.5 years so far. Some 2 million Brits are being threatened with this because we were made the primary pawns by the UK's insane political cleansing of all things that stop the UK from being again the 'empire' it was long ago. If we don't stop Brexit, we'll become a weird version - a reverse version - of illegal migrants with no place of legal residency as we awake on March 30! (Every person in the world has to have by law a residency status somewhere.) We must stop this from happening by no later than 11pm on March 29. And not even the Vienna Convention can protect our rights and status as 'acquired' identities that we earned. I'm joined with groups around Europe and in England to save us from this but it's not looking successful......yet. Every few hours the news changes day and night.

As a result, I don't have time to even write my brother in Canada let alone post much on any forums. My nerves are wrecked. I have nightmares of finding myself on the shore in England with everything dear to me left behind in France. I used to love England.

I have noticed, nonetheless, what a great and helpful, hard-working contributor 'jantango' is on this forum. What she suffered is horrible. I'd like to know if she can see through a peephole in her front door who's on its other side before she must decide to open it or not. Can she ask. " Who are you? What do you want?".

I had a landlord and her 2 hired goons break into my holiday apartment in BA back in 2008. I was nearly naked, about to step into the shower. The landlord burst in and demanded $US500 from me right then. If I didn't pay her this 'extra', the 2 men would do anything to me that she ordered them to, she said. (Saying that to somebody undressed amounts to a sexual assault in Canada and in some US states.) That experience became 2 months later my first post ever on a forum. I refused to pay her. I told her she was despicable. I watched those men from a hiding spot - not a good one-go through all my belongings. I feared for my life. I couldn't reach my 'phone because of their presence. I was able to kick her out after refusing to give her money. Being able to say just about the only thing I could pull together in a simple sentence in Spanish was miraculously enough to make the goons suspicious of HER. (Thanks to a beginners' course of 30 lessons in Castellano.) They started to walk towards and then out the door! She followed them yelling at them to obey her, I guessed. I slammed the door shut and locked it - not very effective since she'd entered by using her own key. I was severely traumatized for 4 months. When I returned to my country, for the next 3 months, I'd jump up and run to the bathroom if somebody rung my door, closing each door behind me as I went. My husband had to answer the front door. I did recover over 6 months and returned to BA but I could not walk past her building. I tried but couldn't. .

I'm sorry to hear of your problems and your terrible experience in 2008. I'd like to understand more about your situation....Why would you lose your British pension and healthcare?

I didn't follow my own advice yesterday: never open your door unless you know the person on the other side. I got a big surprise from a stranger who roughed me up and got only 1500 pesos from me. I opened a bank account recently and transferred $500. Usually, I would have that amount in cash from a XOOM transfer. It was the longest ten minutes of my life. I remained calm. I managed to let out a scream once, but the building was quiet and empty at 12:30pm. If anyone heard me, they didn't investigate. He took my notebook which is old and worth more to me than he could get on the street. I said, that's my life, and he put it back on the desk before leaving. What a relief!

It didn't take me long to figure out this was an inside job. We have tenants from hell for the past year. The police have been called three times for domestic violence. They can't pay the rent, the expenses, electricity, or gas. Edesur turned off their service a week ago. They are living in another place and leave their two boxers inside the apartment. They bark more often recently. The apartment is in front of mind, so I hear everything. I figure that Pablo (28) gave the keys to a friend to do the job and rob me, thinking I probably had lots of cash at home since I'm an American. Later I sent Pablo an email detailing what his friend had done to me and how much he stole. I told him I was going to the police to make a report. I even sent photos of the physical evidence from the encounter. The guy most have been high because he was relentless in his physical abuse when I was willing to give him all the money I had. His fingerprints are on my door as evidence.

Another lesson relearned for me. ANY FOREIGNER IN A CITY APARTMENT BUILDING WITHOUT 24 HOUR SECURITY GUARD NEEDS TO BE VERY CAUTIOUS. You don't want to face a tall stranger with a weapon at your door who is violent. It was a nightmare that I want to forget. The intruder could be Pablo's brother. They are the same height, age, and build. This was an inside job and meticulously planned. I've kept the apartment owner informed of every incident during 14 months. The woman claimed there would be a couple with baby and no dogs living in the apartment. It didn't take long to see there were three children (ages 1-14) and two boxers. They are the worst neighbors in 16 years. We have to wait until their contract is up in November.

I don't understand who Pablo is and how he had the keys.

Back