It's Too Expensive Here!

Yes, it was dinner for 2 people. 1500 pesos total or more or less $100 dollars - not including tip. With tip, it was 1700 pesos. The food is good there and it's always been a favorite. But that's not far off from what I would pay today at Blue Ribbon Sushi in NY for about the same quantity of food/drink (although they don't sell beer) and lord knows the variety of fish there would be far superior.

I'm not surprised at the bill when you see how much supermarkets charge for a bag of frozen mussels never mind prawns.....both of dubious quality. I made myself good old British style fish n chips last night - the wife detests fish. Thank the Lord for merluza - a good substitute for haddock - without it I'd be lost.

As for cakes...I much prefer fresh cream cakes to DDC which kind of narrows down the choice. Don't believe I've ever seen a proper chocolate eclair here they only seem to be one gulp and it's gone sized ones.

There is a contest to see who can raise the price faster. This is all started by over printing the peso. Now the people do not trust the government, assuming they print 30% more each year.
Maybe one way to do it is to have a new currency, and make it clear how much the currency the gov will print each year.

The gov´m here changed the currency 6 or 7 times since I have memory. One peso here and now represents 1ooooooooooooo pesos of 1950, if I am not mistaken.
Argies confuse money bills with wealth. They ecuate them but it is only certain in a few countries that respect their currency religiously. I think somebody said that the value of the paper money tend to, in the long run, to it´s intrinsic value, that is cero!!!.

Fellow Posters.:
Please.The whole thing is quite simple..For the last 8o years or so, the Argentine monied classes-those who have always had easy access to hard currency which here means USD-have accumulated and stashed large amounts of same.
The local currency of whatever name has not had any real value or respect in all that time.They treat it as "monopoly" or "funny" money which they use to raise prices according to inflation and the USD price among other criteria.
Of course,in this way they are fucking over the salaried people time and time again.but they could care infintisimly less about this because the rule for them,"Quien me sigue que se joda"---"Screw the next guy/gal".
The Peronachos like Lopecito,Kristina y compañia come on with a smoke screen of a lot of subsidies and hand outs for the low income and poor which for the needy is better than nothing at all.while they rake off the big bucks on top and stash them in monastery crypts etc like Hollywood already..
This is the Argentina that must end but it's not going to be easy and it's not going to happen overnight..

I'm not surprised at the bill when you see how much supermarkets charge for a bag of frozen mussels never mind prawns.....both of dubious quality. I made myself good old British style fish n chips last night - the wife detests fish. Thank the Lord for merluza - a good substitute for haddock - without it I'd be lost.

As for cakes...I much prefer fresh cream cakes to DDC which kind of narrows down the choice. Don't believe I've ever seen a proper chocolate eclair here they only seem to be one gulp and it's gone sized ones.

Try lenguado for fish and chips, I think you'll like it.

Not sure if this is useful? http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Argentina&city=Buenos+Aires&displayCurrency=EUR

Thanks, I compared BsAs against Santiego, Chile. Everything is more expensive than Chile, except the rent, which is very true.
Rent is very affordable in Argentina, even poor central American cities (the rent) is more expensive than BsAs.
Why is that ? : I guess that reasons would be that the economy is not great, not much demand in rent, or let's say the income does not support the higher rent.
Also people stop coming to Argentina. But other products controlled in the hands of business, people still buy super market items, and they raise the price like hell.

Indices Difference

Consumer Prices in Buenos Aires are 14.96% higher than in Santiago
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Buenos Aires are 9.48% higher than in Santiago
Rent Prices in Buenos Aires are 7.67% lower than in Santiago
Restaurant Prices in Buenos Aires are 24.01% higher than in Santiago
Groceries Prices in Buenos Aires are 5.21% higher than in Santiago
Local Purchasing Power in Buenos Aires is 8.05% lower than in Santiago

Rent is very affordable in Argentina, even poor central American cities (the rent) is more expensive than BsAs.
Why is that ? : I guess that reasons would be that the economy is not great, not much demand in rent, or let's say the income does not support the higher rent.
Also people stop coming to Argentina.

Wrong.

Rent is low because Argies own and invest in real estate. Most of them own apartments. Many people of 29-32 age group I know, live alone in a apartment owner by their parents. So basically Argies dont rent so much.

Rent is also low because traditionally Argies dont take mortgages.

And the rent prices would be even lower if it was not the 'garantia' factor which would knock out the airbnb kind of apartments from the market for long term tourists here.

Back