It's Too Expensive Here!

chris

Registered
I know this is an old theme but I'm interested if there are others who find the cost of living difficult to manage. With the dollar stagnant against the peso, I find my costs all the more out of control. The BA Herald had an article the other day predicting 45% inflation this year.

Yep. Just part of the cycle of life in argentina. Alternating periods of expensive and cheap. My utility bills went from $800/ month to $6000 thats a hell of a hit.

I am puzzled by "dollar stagnant against the peso" part. Why on earth it's still 15:1 ? This makes the locals buy real estate easier. Peso is not worth sh*t, and for 15 pesos, you can get 1 dollar. If you have a peso income that adjusts to the inflation, then real estate becomes cheaper.

I am puzzled by "dollar stagnant against the peso" part. Why on earth it's still 15:1 ? This makes the locals buy real estate easier. Peso is not worth sh*t, and for 15 pesos, you can get 1 dollar. If you have a peso income that adjusts to the inflation, then real estate becomes cheaper.

True assuming Real Estate prices are Steady??

If I wasn't tied to the country (Wife with Argentine kids that are not mine) I would have left happily by now. I am completely tired by numerous aspects of life here, economy just one of them.

Yes I too am finding it a challenge to manage basic cost of living expenses. My rent just went up 55%, groceries are up 50 to 75% since December, and we all know what happened to the utility bills. I am earning in pesos and although I was supposed to get increased equal to inflation, that's not happening.

Unfortunately in order to get inflation under control and get the economy started in the right direction, we all are going to have to feel the pain for a while (many of us have already for a long time). I posted about this before but my light bills went to 5000+ a month. Guess what, I don't like it but it is forcing all of us to be more conscious of electricity. Sucks right but demand was far exceeding supply across the systems. Now the money coming in from the rate increases and the reduced demand b/c people are conscious of how much they're using for the first time, it *should* give the utility companies the time and funds to start repairing an antiquated system that was in no way able to meet the demands. (Now if nothing is done to improve the system and my money just disappears into someone's pockets, I'll be the first to complain!

Back