Jalapeños

BaltRochGirl

Registered
Has anyone found Jalapeños in the stores recently? I used to be able to find them at Jumbo regularly and now they haven't had them for a few months. :(

Even when they aren't in the import section at Jumbo you might find the Casa Fiesta brand (in glass jars) at the end of the condiment isle. Discos in Recoleta and Belgrano may have them, too. Carrefours in Recloeta, Palermo, and Belgrano usually have the La Costena brand (labeled "nachos") in cans and they are much more picante!

I bought some fresh jalapenos at Carrefour in Vicente Lopez last week.
Made some salsa- just can't find the flavor I'm looking for in any of the restaurants here. Any suggestions?

I got some in Jumbo in Unicenter last week. They were not hot though. I have a couple plants that I have grown from seeds and they werent hot either. I mean 0 heat.. I have also found the pickled slices for nachos in the same Jumbo.

They had some yesterday in Wal-Mart in Avellaneda, although no idea how hot they are. I bought some, in a tin from Mexico, a couple of weeks ago, also in Wal Mart (forget the brand name), now they were Muy Picante even by my high standards....

I bought fresh jalepeno peppers in Mercado del Progreso in Caballito that burned my hands for 10 hours after cutting them--that'll teach me not to use rubber gloves. If you're looking for the pickled kinds in the jars you can get those pretty much anywhere that they sell the refried beans in the can (Disco, Jumbo, Carrefour, and the much adored Barrio Chino grocery stores)--however, these might fall prey to the food ban that was talked about a lot back in May. I still see French jelly on the shelves, but not the refried beans (except black) very often anymore...

You can find canned or bottled Jalapenos at the big international chains. You should also be able to find fresh chilis at the small local " verduleria's ".

Surprisingly, I have never had a hard time finding hot peppers... barrio chino and san telmo markets will aways have a stock, but first check your local verduleria - you probably won't see it advertised, just ask.

I first asked my peruvian verduleria on Santa Fe and Carranza for the most picante pepper he had, and he brought out of hiding this large box filled with the motherload of hotness.

Yup,

I had the same experience. The Peruvian verduleros always keep a secret stash. You just have to ask. I believe the word for chili is " aji ".

razal said:
I first asked my peruvian verduleria on Santa Fe and Carranza for the most picante pepper he had, and he brought out of hiding this large box filled with the motherload of hotness.

must be something in the air as I bought a kilo of small but juicy ajis on Saturday..and used 12 on the idiot-proof cilantro mousse that is part of our daily life these days...but as I am not an expert on these things can anyone tell me if chipotles are available anywhere in town and if not is there an equally good way to make chipotle "jam"? So far I have been abusing my Mexican food mule ut the supplies are near exhausted and she wont be going back home to restock till December!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Food and Drink 19