Jalapeños

fifs2 said:
must be something in the air as I bought a kilo of small but juicy ajis on Saturday..and used 12 on the idiot-proof cilantro mousse that is part of our daily life these days...but as I am not an expert on these things can anyone tell me if chipotles are available anywhere in town and if not is there an equally good way to make chipotle "jam"? So far I have been abusing my Mexican food mule ut the supplies are near exhausted and she wont be going back home to restock till December!
Cilantro mousse? Do tell.

As to chipotles, I went on a mission to find them not long ago. I believe it's La Costena that sells them in cans, but the only place I was able to find them in town (I went all over) was Casa China in Barrio Chino, and I bought a dozen just in case they're going to be included in that mysterious food ban or otherwise disappear and not resurface as many good imported food items do here. Good luck!!

Mmm spicy food...

and in return Mizzmar here is the fail proof mousse that will make you realise how incomplete your life was before you had it:

2 cups chopped cilantro
juice 1 lemon
5-12 small chilis chopped ( I suggest start with 5 and build up to your own taste)
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 small onion copped
1/2 cup pouring cream
1 cup mayonnaise (light works)
3 tbsps soy sauce
pepper to taste
1 sachet flavorless gelatin mixed in 1/4 cup warm water

Add all but gelatin to a blender and whizz til smooth. Final processing with gelatin liquid and pour into an oiled jelly mould for min. 4 hours...eh voila.
It's great on french bread, crackers, wraps..even as a sauce for steak (no gelatin required)..heck I may even start brushing my teeth with it to....enjoy!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Food and Drink 19