Javier Milei embraces, studies Judaism

Menem converted to Catholicism. At the time only Roman Catholiocs could be President.
He had an Islamic burial. I recommend you read this and this articles, they are very informative. He only converted to Catholicism to become President and then promptly removed the requirement from the Constitution.

Zelensky hadn't disclosed he is Jewish..!
VERY well known. Not a secret in the slightest. Like, anyone in Ukraine, Russia, or anywhere else, knew.

He has said that it would be difficult to convert now as he would have to observe the sabbath (he would presumably convert to orthodoxy) as President.

This. Also public record and not a secret in the slightest.

FYI: he didn't convert. He couldn't have. It's a lengthy process. I'll spare you the details. Jokes about chainsaws are boring in regular times, and at this time are unpleasant and unappreciated. This is really so much BS. He is not going to convert.
Thanks.

He had an Islamic burial. I recommend you read this and this articles, they are very informative. He only converted to Catholicism to become President and then promptly removed the requirement from the Constitution.
I agree that he did not convert based on any reliugious conviction but he did in fact go through the process of conversion. I remember that his son was buried in a Muslim cemetery. Is that the case with Menem? I doubt very much that Menem was in any way a practicing Muslim but he no doubt retained some cultural affinity for Islam.

?Zelensky is a well-known Jewish comic, ironically both in Russia (he speaks Russian) and Ukrainian.
Well known in Eastern Europe. I meant in this area many of the Argentines I know Ignored that Zelensky is Jewish..!

Well known in Eastern Europe. I meant in this area many of the Argentines I know Ignored that Zelensky is Jewish..!
And you know something, as a Jew, I'm really delighted that in the current public discourse in CABA Jewishness is ignored. Which is only to say that it would be best to approach the issue on the grounds of one's attitudes towards the two contenting states and leave the coincidental religion involved out of the matter.

And you know something, as a Jew, I'm really delighted that in the current public discourse in CABA Jewishness is ignored. Which is only to say that it would be best to approach the issue on the grounds of one's attitudes towards the two contenting states and leave the coincidental religion involved out of the matter.
Totally agree with your approach. I was really surprised with Miley's gift ..! Was it appropriate ?

In my personal, anecdotal experience, there is a lot of open antisemitism in Argentina (along with open prejudice in general). I have frequently had conversations with acquaintances, friends, and even my spouse, making antisemitic comments (most referring in one way or another to the common stereotypes, and frequently very disagreeable). I'm not Jewish, and they obviously presume I'm not, and I presume they think everyone agrees with them. I generally try to say something to these people, but it seems to be an entrenched prejudice.

I don't read the comments on articles in La Nación as much as I used to, but it used to be very common to see antisemitic comments there, also. I don't recall seeing any for a while now. It may be that La Nación is doing a better job of censoring them. I doubt the commenters themselves have actually become more enlightened.

For those who think antisemitism doesn't exist here, have a look at this story from 2013. I tried to keep up on the story at the time, but I never found any follow-up. It seems that the whole thing was just dropped, with no repercussions for those responsible.

Really incredible.

P.S. If you do a google search for the phrase in the article, "Haga patria, mate un judío," you'll find stories of other occurrences of this type of activity in Argentina. Deplorable!

Back