Javier Milei's ideology

"North Korea, officially the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), is a country in East Asia."
That's sweet. You seem to believe NK is democratic simply because the word is in the name. I bet you'll be surprised to learn that a "tufted tit mouse" is neither a mouse nor a tit.

All predictions about what Milei will or will not do undermine the principles of democracy itself. It ultimately depends on what he is permitted to do. I am certain that boundaries have been set for him, lines that he should not cross. He will need to navigate through some challenging situations.

He is likely to clash with the gremios, sindicatos, Peronists, and the Pro party. His power to enact changes through executive orders is limited, especially those that must adhere to constitutional standards. For instance, the idea of dollarization fails this test. Remember, he agreed to form a coalition government with JxC.

Argentina is rich in natural resources like petroleum, natural gas, lithium, among others. If Milei can effectively utilize these resources, it could generate significant revenue. Reforming the tax code and labor laws might incentivize investment in the country, but this won't be easy or immediate. If investors observe real changes and are assured that Argentina won't revert to its old ways, then it might attract foreign investment that Macri couldn't secure. However, these are significant 'ifs.'

I think the idea behind this thread was to tease out the future Milei imagines in his head based on what we can learn by reading the economists he names his dogs (and their cloned replacements)) after. (Of course, he is unlikely to get all the way, or even very far at all down the road, for a whole range of predictable reasons.)

Back