Javier Milei's show at Luna Park

Never seen a country with 300% inflation rate with a president that's singing for a concert.

Poor argentinos.
No kidding … talk about tone deaf. $8M to cosplay XFactor with the current poverty rate.
It is exactly the poor Argentinos who voted for him and five months into his term are still going crazy for him, lining up for hours to get a ticket to see his cosplay show, Milei the Musical, despite the oft-cited poverty and inflation rates and who are also driving the second highest approval ratings in Latin America. That should tell people something about middle class views and suppositions (often shared here) being rather out of touch from the reality of those actually suffering from these problems and what they have already gone through to actually get to this point (while all these years such middle class views and suppositions have been mostly silent, enjoying their own political privileges…)

It is exactly the poor Argentinos who voted for him and five months into his term are still going crazy for him, lining up for hours to get a ticket to see his cosplay show, Milei the Musical, despite the oft-cited poverty and inflation rates and who are also driving the second highest approval ratings in Latin America. That should tell people something about middle class views and suppositions (often shared here) being rather out of touch from the reality of those actually suffering from these problems and what they have already gone through to actually get to this point (while all these years such middle class views and suppositions have been mostly silent, enjoying their own political privileges…)

Today I had a very interesting chat with a surprisingly well-read taxi driver who was comparing Milei to Don Quixote. Seriously. I can't say I agreed with his conclusions, but he argued a very spirited and quite articulate defense of Milei and his recent actions, and he did so quite calmly and politely. I continue to be amazed at the taxi drivers in this city.

The Taxi app gave me a rate of 6.2K pesos for the trip from Microcentro back to my home in Villa Urquiza, but that was obviously very low. I asked him what he thought a fair fare would be, and he said 8K, so I paid him 10K, just because I'm like that.

Last edited:
He's really not helping the substance abuse accusations/general tone deafness; he's also giving off De la Rúa and the limones energy if anyone remembers it that

He's being accused of having plagiarised sections of his book from a Chilean publication, "Demanda por dinero: Teoria, evidencia, resultados" published in 2000:

It seems he also plagiarised from a Conicet publication (interesting, that, copying from an institution he threatened to shut down). Too lazy and work-shy to think for himself, I suppose. In Chile, at least, he's got a new title now, to add to his non-existent UBA one; "king of copy-paste". His pet troll, Adorni, of course denies any plagiarism: nothing to see here, move on...

Okay, so I have a hypothesis that Milei is doing all this with his eyes wide open, That's not an endorsement, by the way, just an observation. Milei is an avowed libertarian anarchist capitalist, no?

Libertarian approximates to "get your government out of my business;" Anarchist approximates to "We don't need no steenkeng government" and what is Capitalism is left as an exercise for the reader.

Back in the 2000s, I'd say that it wasn't the Kirchner's who kickstarted the Argentine economy back to life, it was the world demand for what Argentina produced, the rise in the market prices and the willingness of the Argentine people to put the dreadful events of the time behind them. The Kirchners just took the credit.

There were at least two British politicians of the 80s and 90s who had been finance ministers yet admitted afterward that their policies made no real difference to the economic outcomes of the country: all they were really able to do was watch from the sidelines and when things went well, claim their policies had won the day but when things went badly just shrug and blame world events. The policies, they said, were just window-dressing. Even Napoleon recognised the inevitability of things and, far from forcing the population to do his will against their desires, was shrewd enough to sense the direction of the popular groundswell then place himself at the front and lead the people where they were already headed.

So now, here we are, with world events predicting a rise in commodity prices and weather events predicting some bumper harvests in Argentina over the next couple of years and all Milei has to do is stand back, watch what happens and wait to take the credit for what would have happened anyway.

Or blame external forces if it all goes wrong.

Back