Job Activity?

Scrabble en español, is this a thing? Apparently the concept of spelling bees is a foreign concept here because Spanish is a phonetic language and a spelling bee makes no sense.

If you've ever exchanged messages with young people and lesser-educated, you find that spelling is every bit as atrocious among Spanish speakers as English, phonetic language or no.

It took me a little while to figure out what "noce" meant when I first got here and started exchanging messages with locals, for example. I've seen many, many examples of where a phonetic language doesn't mean anything without the rest of the education - possibly even including spelling bees.

Yeah, I speak almost no Spanish, and on one long bus ride there was a lady in the next seat who would type things in Google translate on my tablet when we wanted to converse. She substituted b for v in a lot of words, and the computer didn't recognize them.
Correction: the app was Jibbigo

and "k" for q (or que). My first year here, I thought the correct spelling of the word was kilombo, not quilombo.

I am generally horrified by text speak here. And had to beg my friends not to use anything but proper spelling when emailing/texting me lest I pick up the incorrect stuff and use it.

Back