Job Advice for Teacher

yoensenoingles

Registered
Hi everyone,

I am currently looking for a full-time teaching position for the upcoming school year. I was an English teacher for 5 years in the U.S., and I'd love to continue teaching here in a primary or secondary school setting.

I need to learn how applying for a job at a school works here. Is it better to show up with a resume, or request an appointment with someone at a school? Will my credentials in the U.S. even work for teaching positions here? Is there anyone who has navigated this successfully and can offer any tips?

I know the school year starts in March, and I'd love to line something up before then. I would greatly appreciate any and all advice. Thanks so much,

-Maggie-

The paperwork and credentials really depend on the school. You will need a DNI. Schools here will not get you a work visa. I would look for jobs that are posted after the New Year. It doesn´t hurt to start now either. A lot of schools I know haven´t figured out their schedules for next year and are not really in the process of hiring yet. Also be aware that many teaching jobs here are not full-time. A lot of schools have two shifts of teachers. For example they may have some courses in English in the afternoon and Spanish teachers in the morning. Even in elementary school. A lot of teachers work another job too.

Just a heads up that teaching in a school here is pretty challenging. I worked with some tough kids in the U.S. but my experience in a school here has been much more of a challenge. Kids are generally good but, there is a higher tolerance here for noise and bad behavior. Some things are brushed off that wouldn´t be brushed off at home. It is important to have a decent level of Spanish even if you don´t speak Spanish with the kids otherwise you won´t know what´s going on when they are acting out.

I should also mention that here they have teacher coordinators. This is an admin position and can be something difficult to get used to if you have taught in the U.S. Teachers have a lot of independence in the U.S. Often the teacher coordinators here have to approve all of your tests and lesson plans. They also dole out extra work or, can surprise you with an activity they want your class to complete without warning.

By English teacher do you mean a teacher of literature and grammar as the term is used in the US or do you mean English as a Second language? If you want to teach an American curriculum there are two American international schools in BA. Also many bilingual schools. The leading bilingual schools hire teachers from abroad however they prefer British teachers. If you are a secondary school teacher you could be asked to teach literature according to British IGCSE and possibly A level curriculua. Some schoools follow the IB program. If you are hired by one of the better schools they will take care of visas.

Hi Maggie,

I'm an Australian teacher currently teaching at a bilingual school. I found the job on the online La Nacion, however the experience has been very different from what I'm used to. Depending on the schools, you generally don't get a working space, they are a little disorganised, and they work in shifts, morning or afternoon. If you are looking for full-time work with better conditions, try an international school (I'm starting in one next year and they seem to be a lot more organised and professional). I think Lincoln (American school) is hiring an English teacher at the moment in the middle school. Have a look at their website.

I hope this helps, good luck

As plenty of Argentines go to study abroad, you can teach them too. It pays more than doing the conversations or teaching in a school

Back