Job Offer in Buenos Aires

nikad said:
Income tax is not payed on salaries under 5792$ ( single ) or up to ( 7998$ ) married with kids based on the new minimum as of April 2011. So basically his deductibles will be 15%

That's a big change, wasn't aware. Before I believe the personal exemption was only $9000 pesos per year. They have effectively raised it to nearly $72000 pesos a year?

If you want a decent international standard of living come prepared to fork out as much or quite often, more, than you would at home. If you are ok with a 3rd world standard of living, then you can get by quite cheaply here.

gouchobob said:
That's a big change, wasn't aware. Before I believe the personal exemption was only $9000 pesos per year. They have effectively raised it to nearly $72000 pesos a year?

I looked this up and the personal exemption was only $7500 according to the link below. Hard to believe if correct the exemption went from $7500 to almost $72000. Could somebody post the AFIP link showing the new amount. Thanks.

http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/Latin-America/Argentina/Living-There

After this post I did some more research.

There appears to be a personal exemption and a special employee exemption so the folks saying he would pay no taxes appear to be correct. $4250 a month sounds like a reasonable net pay. This would give him more or less $1050 in dollars to live on. I personally wouldn't want to try it, but its up to the OP on what sacrifices he is willing to endure.

I would think that any foreigner would have a bit of a tight time on only $5000 pesos a month, even if his company can give him a garantia for an apartment. I live in Caballito in a decent 1bd apt (unfurnished, 2yr contract with garantiaa) that has a nice patio and pay (including building expenses and bills) around $600 a month. Rent at $2000 pesos would be going up 30% should I renew my contract. $2000 USD can be comfortable living for a single person, but it doesn't go nearly as far as it used to. Even on that "comfortable" wage you can't really travel much, eat out frequently, or save anything to speak of. If the OP is willing to rent a shared apartment then maybe their salary will go farther. Best of luck in the deliberations.

MizzMarr said:
$2000 USD can be comfortable living for a single person, but it doesn't go nearly as far as it used to. Even on that "comfortable" wage you can't really travel much, eat out frequently, or save anything to speak of. If the OP is willing to rent a shared apartment then maybe their salary will go farther. Best of luck in the deliberations.

I disagree, I generally spend about 2000 USD per month, sometimes more sometimes less and I don't ever find myself penny pinching and I think I have a nice life. I drink 50-150 peso wine every night, buy "gourmet" ingredients for almost every meal, go to restaurants occasionally, take taxis, go out to bars, travel every other month or so. I think for a young single 2000US is very comfortable living.

PhilipDT said:
. I think for a young single 2000US is very comfortable living.

I agree, but the OP is only being offered $5000 pesos per month gross income:

"Their offer is AR$5000 gross plus aguinaldo, with a possible annual performance bonus, 2 weeks paid vacation, and private health insurance.

With the current exchange rate that is roughly 16,000 USD per year, and after I tried to adjust for Purchasing Power Parity I came up with 28,000 USD."

I don't think the "Purchasing Power Parity" will be a positive factor, either. We all know electronics are expensive and clothes are surprisingly low quality(for the money).

Even if his company can get a guarantee for him he would have to have more than $1000 USD to furnish an apartment unless he buys everything used, and that isn't easy for a newcomer to do (no yard, garage, or moving sales in BA...except for expats fleeing Argentina). The $28,000 USD figure is simply wishful thinking.

The offer of $16,000 leaves him $8,000 USD short of the $24,000 he would need to actually spend to have the nice life in BA that you enjoy so much, and I fear the OP's net pay would only be about $1,200 per month.

He's a student guys - let's leave the expats lifestyle behind and remember what it was to share a dingy appt., live on tinned food and no money...I think he'll have a ball on 5k pesos - it's a fantastic opportunity - go for it!

fifs2 said:
He's a student guys - let's leave the expats lifestyle behind and remember what it was to share a dingy appt., live on tinned food and no money...I think he'll have a ball on 5k pesos - it's a fantastic opportunity - go for it!

Hahaha!

If and when he accepts this job he will no longer be a student. He will be an exploited (underpaid) professional.

If the entry level jobs in his field in the US pay (on average) $60,000 per year to start, I can't see any reason to accept a $16,00 per anum job in BA.

Better to work (and live well in the US) and come to BA on vacation and have a ball than live from hand to mouth in Argentina.

Not many college students earn 1750 a month....I know lots of Oxbridge students that worked in factories during the vacations and had to afford UK prices. 1750 is for a 30-something plus who wants home comforts....

PhilipDT said:
I disagree, I generally spend about 2000 USD per month, sometimes more sometimes less and I don't ever find myself penny pinching and I think I have a nice life. I drink 50-150 peso wine every night, buy "gourmet" ingredients for almost every meal, go to restaurants occasionally, take taxis, go out to bars, travel every other month or so. I think for a young single 2000US is very comfortable living.

Well, I said $2000 was comfortable for a single person, but that it simply doesn't go as far as it used to--I don't think that's really disputable. On $2000 a month would you able to both save and travel (nationally and internationally)? You said you *spend* $2000 a month, but clearly earn more so that you're not spending every centavo you earn.

At any rate, I'd say that the OP should come for $2000USD, but $5000 pesos is just a little more than half of that, and at today's exchange rate...

ETA: Depending on the OPs needs and desires for lifestyle (and ability to be frugal, because on that wage you'd need to be a bit frugal), I think he can definitely have an amazing experience here for a year or two. Shared apartments may be the way to go (and easy way to make friends) to save money on an apartment. Though I don't think that he'd be able to actually save, the experience will likely be invaluable and he's at the perfect age to do it.

Back