Job Offered: Salary :-(

As others have said, sounds low for a qualified professional. Anyway, do you know if that is bruto o neto? En negro o blanco?

Btw, Dublin2BA, aguinaldo is only 1 months salary (ie a salary including aguinaldo would be 13 months) but paid across 2 instalments!!

Rich one, as you probably know, encargados are actually paid pretty well by Argentine standards, as I have posted before I swear mine only "works" (ie can be seen in the building) about 15 hrs a week!

I didn't even ask about aguinaldo and other stuff, the wage is far too low. So how much does a professional earn more or less for a full time job there? In pesos, yeps.

Are you paid in white (en blanco) with bennefits (health care plan, sick days, can´t be fired, etc) or under the table (in black)?)

I would say it is low. We are thinking of paying a 20 hour a week secretary $3000-$3500 (and she will be working virtually.

Almost all jobs are protected by unions in Argentina, and they regulate salaries. For film you have SICA and TV is SATSAID, forget what journalism is. Their websites publish salary info. Remember, on top of the salary the employer pays 25% to 50% on top in bennefits, taxes, and union dues. You are only responsible for tax on salary if you make over a set amount, I think 8000 pesos a month or so.

As someone who works in the film industry, most people I know wouldn´t take under 8000 for a full time job, most would request 12000 to 20000 BUT a lot of people starting out get paid less.

I´m currious to know who offered you that low--or at the least if it is a big company with history or some no name start up.

Hi! As someone who has both worked at an Argentine company, and as a freelancer for companies in the US, my recommendation is to try and focus on the freelance work from outside the country, and find a part time job for meeting people and having at least some income for those months where the freelance work is slow. Also this way you aren't stressed working two full time jobs, especially in this case where the pay is so low. Are you planning on moving here for good or is it more of a "life experience" thing? If its just for the experience, in my opinion I wouldn't settle on a in-house full time job where the pay is low, because you will want to travel and see the country! (Also, I have heard of quite a few opportunities for journalists to write articles about their travels, though don't know how much they pay, but you can send those articles to international companies!) Good luck!

Also, Mariano check out this page:

http://buenosaires.en.craigslist.org/wri/

Though most are writing and related jobs in English, all sorts of things get posted there.

yeps, I'll keep working for European media, not only 'cause of the payment in Euros -even if it's not constant- but also 'cause of the freedom and specially I don't want to get into Argentinean work-structures. There, in Argentina, work is organized authoritarian, bureaucratic and inefficiently.

Getting in to Argentina work structures is a really good way to meet people and get involved in the culture though.

Back