John Oliver On Argentinas Default

This is in better taste and includes more legos, less F bombs, and a cut out of la donia. and even a small desk toilet for his cat.

I would't ever accept a 65 % discount , would have joined the holdouts forever

the hedge funds actually bought the bonds on the cheap from the original holders. so they didn`t take a 65 discount.
also do remember that is was a risky investment from the start

Actually Singer [aka PIG] is adverse to risk.
Paul Elliott Singer (born August 22, 1944) is the American founder and CEO of hedge fund Elliott Management Corporation and The Paul E. Singer Foundation.[2]Singer grew up in a Jewish family,[3] one of three children of a Manhattan pharmacist and a homemaker.[4] He obtained his B.S. in psychology from the University of Rochester and a J.D. from Harvard Law School.[4][5] In 1974, Singer accepted a job as an attorney in the real estate division of the investment bank Donaldson, Lufkin & Jenrette.[4][5]
n 1977, Singer founded the hedge fund Elliott Associates L.P. with $1.3 million from various friends and family members.[4] Elliott Management Corporation oversees Elliott Associates and Elliott International Limited, which together have more than $21 billion in assets under management.[6] According to The Guardian, "Elliott's principal investment strategy is buying distressed debt cheaply and selling it at a profit or suing for full payment."[7]
A 2012 CNN profile of Singer noted that losses sustained early in his career led to a “risk aversion that still guides his investing today. For example, he rarely uses leverage to juice returns.” Thanks to his caution, “Elliott has had only two down years” since 1977, rising “4.2% in 2011, a year in which most hedge funds lost money.” According to CNN, Singer focused from early times “on distressed assets,” buying up bankrupt firms' debt and acquiring “a reputation for strong-arming his way to profit.” Elliott has been involved “in most of the big post-crash restructurings, including Chrysler and auto parts supplier Delphi.” Over Elliott's history, it has averaged 14 percent annual returns, compared with 10.8% for the S&P 500 stock index as a whole.[8][9]

The more I watch Oliver the less I like him. If I want emotion packed, logic free rants I've got the Internet and Rush Limbaugh. He does have a talent for ridicule. But the way to convince me that someone's position or action is ridiculous is to use reason and logic, not ridicule. Ridicule makes it personal. As for his remarks about the tragic incident in Ferguson, I can determine for myself, thank you very much, whether the security camera film is relevant or not. Frankly, the fact that the kid had just committed robbery, and was stopped for walking down the middle of the street blocking traffic (I heard that on NPR so I tend to believe it) tells me that this kid was no angel. And I do find that relevant. I am sure not saying that the kid deserved to be killed. But I do think that it's too early to say which scraps of evidence are relevant and which are not.

My dos centavos. Bob

The more I watch Oliver the less I like him. If I want emotion packed, logic free rants I've got the Internet and Rush Limbaugh. He does have a talent for ridicule. But the way to convince me that someone's position or action is ridiculous is to use reason and logic, not ridicule. Ridicule makes it personal. As for his remarks about the tragic incident in Ferguson, I can determine for myself, thank you very much, whether the security camera film is relevant or not. Frankly, the fact that the kid had just committed robbery, and was stopped for walking down the middle of the street blocking traffic (I heard that on NPR so I tend to believe it) tells me that this kid was no angel. And I do find that relevant. I am sure not saying that the kid deserved to be killed. But I do think that it's too early to say which scraps of evidence are relevant and which are not.

My dos centavos. Bob

The last I heard, jaywalking was not a capital crime. Even if petty theft were a capital offense that permitted summary judgement, the officer who executed him was unaware of the alleged crime.

Back