Joyeria? I Need to buy an engagement ring

Z401409

Registered
I want to start the search for an engagement ring. I have decided to start off with a simple gold band for the engagement.

I've been told that the best place to buy jewelry is Calle Libertad near Av. Corrientes. Does anyone have experience?

What I'm most concerned about is paying a fair price for something that is real gold. I've spoken to a couple Jewish friends (no prejudice intended) and they recommend to take a local with me.

Any recommendations?

PS - Anyone know how I size the ring without her knowing? Do the jewlrey stores provide you with a plastic ring sizer or do I guess and have it resized afterward? Do they resize for free for a simple gold band?

Thanks!

My fiance bought me my ring here http://www.testorelli.com/
They have more than one location but the original store is from 1887.

They have a lot of one of a kind pieces, he got me something more along the lines of what would be traditional in the States since I'm from there. But if your fiance is from here and would prefer the band I'm sure they have great options.

You should just buy a ring you like and have her size it afterwards. I don't know about Libertad stores but any high quality jewelry stores shouldn't charge for re-sizing a ring you already bought.

Cmon, NOBODY has experience with the shops on Calle Libertad?

We bought our rings at Paul Rivoir on Libertad 344 at the recommendation of some reviews on a popular local wedding forum. :) They seemed very knowledgeable and trustworthy, they've been in business a long time and have good customer service. They explained everything very clearly and let you see several different styles. I haven't had my ring tested to see if it's actual 18K gold, but I have no reason to believe it's not. Been wearing my ring for about 4 months now with no issues at all. They do resize rings and in fact were told to only take it to them if our fingers change since they have some sort of special way of doing it without cutting. I do suggest going with a local if your Spanish isn't very good.

There's not too much of a surprise engagement ring proposal culture here... at least not buying the ring beforehand, though it's becoming more popular. Diamonds are quite expensive here and not really safe to wear on the street. Buying a gold band isn't as easy as it seems... there's many different types of gold, thickness, widths, styles... do you know if she likes white gold or yellow? Or perhaps red or rose? We thought we were set on yellow gold but when we saw the rose gold, we preferred those (a little deeper color, not copperish, and not as flashy.) Usually wedding bands are bought as a couple since traditionally they are made to be the same "weight" (cut from the same piece of material) but of course that's up to you and there's many different variations. ;) It's also common to buy an eternity band (or semi eternity, or solitaire) as an engagement ring. Paul Rivoir sells some of those types of rings as well, but they tend to be much smaller than what you would find in the States and are crystal instead of diamond. Prices are decent, but gold is expensive especially these days!

As for finding out her size, you could either -ehem- borrow a ring of hers without her noticing (that you know fits on her ring finger) or surprise her when you're out and about with a "spontaneous" ring/earrings gift. :D Even if it's costume jewelry, it gives you the chance to see her ring size. I'm not sure where you're from, but sizes here are different than in the States.

Oh and be careful on calle Libertad. Not only with possibly shady shops, but also with possible pickpockets since it's an area known for buying/selling gold. Don't meander more than you have to.

Hope it all goes well! :D

Eclair said:
We bought our rings at Paul Rivoir on Libertad 344 at the recommendation of some reviews on a popular local wedding forum. :) They seemed very knowledgeable and trustworthy, they've been in business a long time and have good customer service. They explained everything very clearly and let you see several different styles. I haven't had my ring tested to see if it's actual 18K gold, but I have no reason to believe it's not. Been wearing my ring for about 4 months now with no issues at all. They do resize rings and in fact were told to only take it to them if our fingers change since they have some sort of special way of doing it without cutting. I do suggest going with a local if your Spanish isn't very good.

There's not too much of a surprise engagement ring proposal culture here... at least not buying the ring beforehand, though it's becoming more popular. Diamonds are quite expensive here and not really safe to wear on the street. Buying a gold band isn't as easy as it seems... there's many different types of gold, thickness, widths, styles... do you know if she likes white gold or yellow? Or perhaps red or rose? We thought we were set on yellow gold but when we saw the rose gold, we preferred those (a little deeper color, not copperish, and not as flashy.) Usually wedding bands are bought as a couple since traditionally they are made to be the same "weight" (cut from the same piece of material) but of course that's up to you and there's many different variations. ;) It's also common to buy an eternity band (or semi eternity, or solitaire) as an engagement ring. Paul Rivoir sells some of those types of rings as well, but they tend to be much smaller than what you would find in the States and are crystal instead of diamond. Prices are decent, but gold is expensive especially these days!

As for finding out her size, you could either -ehem- borrow a ring of hers without her noticing (that you know fits on her ring finger) or surprise her when you're out and about with a "spontaneous" ring/earrings gift. :D Even if it's costume jewelry, it gives you the chance to see her ring size. I'm not sure where you're from, but sizes here are different than in the States.

Oh and be careful on calle Libertad. Not only with possibly shady shops, but also with possible pickpockets since it's an area known for buying/selling gold. Don't meander more than you have to.

Hope it all goes well! :D

Thanks Eclair! I actually stumbled into Paul Rivoir and felt that it was a reputable place before I realized that it was my destination. I bought a white gold band and am waiting to pop the question.

Any ideas?

Well you've got to tell us a bit about her if you want help with this! You know her better than internet strangers, of course.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Women's Forum 22
A Jobs 4
Back