July 6th (is coming very soon)

pizza4breakfast

Registered
July 6th at 9:30AM I will step off a plane at EZE, try to hail a cab to downtown BA, and try not to freak out. Hello! I can't wait to arrive!

I am an artist and musician and I am moving to BA to start a band. I will also be studying spanish at UBA, attempting to find work, looking for a place to live, and generally doing all the things one must do upon moving to a new city.

I look forward to chatting with you, and perhaps meeting some of you as well.

-Ian Van Veen

First mistake:

When stepping off the plane, DO NOT "HAIL" A CAB!!

Go to the Taxi Ezeiza (or Ezeiza Taxi) stand that is:
-OUTSIDE the "Secured Area", but...
-INSIDE the airport building.

You pay them for your taxi, you get a receipt, and then you wait for someone to get you and take you to a taxi. If you "hail a cab" you're going to be paying about 2 to 4 times what you should be paying.

But before you get in the taxi, you should also change some money at the airport, but...

(1) DO NOT CHANGE MONEY AT BAGGAGE CLAIM!!! You will get the worst rate that you can find in the country.

(2) Change your money at the Banco de la Nacion Argentina location with two windows-
-a window facing inside the SECURED AREA in between the "Remises" (private taxis) windows on the right, or...
-a window outside the Secured Area (BUT AGAIN, STILL INSIDE THE BUILDING) around the corner on the right after you leave the Secured Area.

Here's a link to their logo, so you'll know what to look for: http://www.bna.com.ar/

For a tour of the city and a kazillion more helpful hints, book a tour or three here: www.balocal.com

Congratulations on making the decision to move! I agree with everything that Napolean said, be careful!

Have you looked into apartments at all or are you planning on staying at a hostel for awhile?

I live in Palermo and I have done my share of apartment hunting. If you need someone to show you around or need some help, let me know!

Napoleon said:
You pay them for your taxi, you get a receipt, and then you wait for someone to get you and take you to a taxi. If you "hail a cab" you're going to be paying about 2 to 4 times what you should be paying.

Meh. Everybody says to do this but I always just check the rate at eze taxi and head out to the curb and ask the nearest taxista if he can beat their rate. 10+ trips from EZE and not a single problem so far.

Like Napoleon says, the currency exchange at baggage claim is robbery, but if you ask nicely most taxistas will take dollars at the posted exchange rate for the day.

PhilipDT said:
Meh. Everybody says to do this but I always just check the rate at eze taxi and head out to the curb and ask the nearest taxista if he can beat their rate.

That's a very good idea.

BTW, what does "meh" mean?

Thanks!

do NOT go comparison shopping for taxi fares at the airport. ezeiza taxi is professional, safe, honest, and has very competitive prices. just use them, and you will have a good and safe trip, without being overcharged or robbed.

Napoleon said:
First mistake:

When stepping off the plane, DO NOT "HAIL" A CAB!!

Go to the Taxi Ezeiza (or Ezeiza Taxi) stand that is:
-OUTSIDE the "Secured Area", but...
-INSIDE the airport building.

But before you get in the taxi, you should also change some money at the airport, but...

(1) DO NOT CHANGE MONEY AT BAGGAGE CLAIM!!! You will get the worst rate that you can find in the country.

(2) Change your money at the Banco de la Nacion Argentina location with two windows-
-a window facing inside the SECURED AREA in between the "Remises" (private taxis) windows on the right, or...
-a window outside the Secured Area (BUT AGAIN, STILL INSIDE THE BUILDING) around the corner on the right after you leave the Secured Area.

Here's a link to their logo, so you'll know what to look for: http://www.bna.com.ar/

For a tour of the city and a kazillion more helpful hints, book a tour or three here: www.balocal.com

Napoleon is giving you a very good and sound advice here, do what he said and you shouldn't have any problems.

Good luck and welcome to (almost) paradise.

Comparison shopping is fine when you know the lay of the land . For a first visit , its best to use the official services - you will pay a fair price and get a decent service.

mariposa said:
do NOT go comparison shopping for taxi fares at the airport. ezeiza taxi is professional, safe, honest, and has very competitive prices. just use them, and you will have a good and safe trip, without being overcharged or robbed.

Don't listen to the shill. Like I said, not once have I had a problem and have always gotten better fares. Then again, I'm the kind of naive gringo who has been hailing taxis on the street for 2 years without a problem.

i think this thread has enough comments for pizza4breakfast to make up his/her mind.

Back